-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-14 using BTRFS with Snapper installed

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

MX-14 using BTRFS with Snapper installed

#1 Post by JimC » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 am

FYI:

I'm running an install of MX-14 in a VM right now under VirtualBox to see how it works (as I'm thinking about installing on my wife's laptop to replace Mepis 11), and I installed root to a BTRFS file system with no problems from the installer.

I also installed Snapper. See this page for instructions on getting it (basically, it just adds an opensuse repo for it and installs it).

http://software.opensuse.org/download/p ... ge=snapper

Here's one of many pages on configuring it (just one I found with a quick google search that happens to be a NAS that looks like it's using a debian base). You'll find loads of tutorial pages around elsewhere, too.

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic ... 35&t=75286

I haven't done anything with it yet other than an initial config like this:

su
snapper -c root create-config /

Apparently, by default it will create a new snapshot hourly from what I can tell using this command

su
snapper list

But, that page goes into how to set it up differently, showing how to disable the default hourly snapshots, how to scripts for creating new snapshots when using apt-get and more.

I recently installed OpenSUSE 13.1 on my desktop, and I also used BTRFS as it's default file system; and it's already setup to do snapshots when doing updates, etc. by default, with a GUI interface for using them built into YAST.

So, I figured I'd see if I could do the same thing with MX-14 since it's got BTRFS support, so I could roll back changes in the event something got messed up. I'll have to dig into how to use the command line snapper tools more to get a better idea of how to use it. Perhaps there are some GUI based front ends for it somewhere, too (I haven't looked for any yet), similar to the one built into YAST with OpenSUSE.

Anyway, I figured I'd let others know that there's a way to get that kind of feature (snapshots that you could revert to in case something you do messes up your system). I think you can do the same kind of thing without snapper (just using some of the btrfs tools already installed, but I'm new to BTRFS and it will take me a while to learn more about how to use it).

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX-14 using BTRFS with Snapper installed

#2 Post by anticapitalista » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:34 am

I'm surprised that the installer worked in letting you install to a BTRFS file system and even more surprised that you could boot it once installed.

Let us know how snapshots work wth btrfs, I'm interested.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by JimC » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:44 am

Yep. Works fine that way.

I used GParted (just calling it from MX-14 install wizard) to create a new partition table on a virtual drive, then I created a 7GB btrfs partition and a 1GB Linux Swap Partition for testing.

The installer let me select the 7GB btrfs partition for root using btrfs as the file system type with no problems and it installed that way, boots into the desktop that way, runs fine that way, etc.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:01 pm

anticapitalista wrote:I'm surprised that the installer worked in letting you install to a BTRFS file system and even more surprised that you could boot it once installed.

Didn't we fix that issue with fsck on BTRFS, that was stopping the system from booting...

I also use MX on BTRFS.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by anticapitalista » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Adrian wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:I'm surprised that the installer worked in letting you install to a BTRFS file system and even more surprised that you could boot it once installed.

Didn't we fix that issue with fsck on BTRFS, that was stopping the system from booting...

I also use MX on BTRFS.
I guess we must have. I had forgotten about it.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by uncle mark » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:52 pm

anticapitalista wrote:
Adrian wrote:

I also use MX on BTRFS.
I guess we must have. I had forgotten about it.
LOL. Gotta love the open source development model. :p
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:07 pm

uncle mark wrote:LOL. Gotta love the open source development model. :p
I know you are joking, but without MEPIS installer being open source we'd have had no way to add our changes and make it possible to install on BTRFS, as far as I know MEPIS still doesn't allow installation on BTRFS (or if you install it might not boot), not sure I haven't tried lately.
Last edited by Adrian on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by anticapitalista » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:11 pm

... and that applies to other tools that MEPIS open-sourced and the MEPIS Community was able to improve on.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by uncle mark » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Adrian wrote:
uncle mark wrote:LOL. Gotta love the open source development model. :p
I know you are joking, but without MEPIS installer being open source we'd have had no way to add our changes and make it possible to install on BTRFS, as far as I know MEPIS still doesn't allow installation on BTRFS (or if you install it might not boot), not sure I haven't tried lately.
Of course I was. (I think the only person that ever took me seriously has recently taken his marbles and gone home.) I know how this stuff works. I just got a chuckle out of anti's "Huh? We fixed that?"
anticapitalista wrote:... and that applies to other tools that MEPIS open-sourced and the MEPIS Community was able to improve on.
Yes, I recall at the time how people were kind of amazed that Warren was doing that. He'd been pretty protective of his code up to that point.

It's all good. I am continually amazed how well all this stuff comes together and works as well as it does.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by anticapitalista » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

I remember what the btrfs issue was/is. I just tried to install MX-14 to a partition, choosing btrfs and all is fine until you install grub to the MBR.
User needs to install it elsewhere (or not at all) and chainload from another grub.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Return to “General”