News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

{Solved} More from Dedo

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: More from Dedo

Post by Bluesguy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:49 pm

I altered my post #19 ...
An unofficial response about MX regarding LTS (abridged from Richard's comments) ...
At the moment, MX Linux does not have an LTS version ... we provide support past the time that the base Debian release is supported ... Debian do not ... offer an LTS version, though they do provide LTS kernels, backports and security updates which we also pass on.

I feel Richard nailed it down succinctly and abundantly clear and I request his statement be corroborated and "blessed" as OFFICIAL ... Can a DEV please chime in?

Thanks in advance

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by malspa » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:12 pm

The one thing that's really missing is a guaranteed LTS edition for me to be able to commit it to production
Bluesguy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:31 pm
An unofficial response about MX regarding LTS (abridged from Richard's comments) ...
At the moment, MX Linux does not have an LTS version ... we provide support past the time that the base Debian release is supported ... Debian do not ... offer an LTS version, though they do provide LTS kernels, backports and security updates which we also pass on.
Good to know, but unlike Dedoimedo, I like LTS versions for my spare computers, the older ones that I don't use as often. For my main/primary machine, whatever you wanna call it, I like to get the newer release when it comes out.

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bluesguy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 am

One of my initial questions regarding MX's version(s) longevity took into account my understanding of Debian's position regarding LTS:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
Debian announces its new stable release on a regular basis. Users can expect 3 years of full support for each release and 2 years of extra LTS support.

I've noticed that MX-18 (and prior versions) does indeed include the debian-stable-updates.list in the sources.list.d ... I assume that MX-18 will be supported for 5 years from its initial release date, and, technically-speaking, IS a Debian LTS release ... otherwise, why the debian-stable-updates.list if it were not?

Just curious ... many folks ask me this question regarding the installations I've made for them ... I always tell them that MX-18 would certainly give them roughly 5 years of use from the date of its initial release before they need to reinstall/upgrade. Personally, as I've often said, I don't have a problem moving from one Stable version to another when the time comes ... teaching my people how to do the same comes with the territory ... the Linux experience!

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bluesguy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Found more answers here:
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=49469 in posts #3 and #4 ...
Perhaps a basic description of MX-18's (and priors) longevity could amount to something along these lines:
MX is an ESR (Extended Support Release) Distro based on Debian Stable with 3 years of Debian standard version-support plus 2 more years of Debian LTS. Add to this MX's extended support for its own packages, and you have an OS that can easily accommodate users needing long-term productivity features.
I kinda like it as it sets MX apart from Rolling or LTS Distros and all the rest ... a great "branding" if you will. Whaddya think folks? If I get a green-light i will send this little nut-shell to Dedo as my spin on his (and others) concern(s).

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Bluesguy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:26 pm
MX is an ESR (Extended Support Release) Distro based on Debian Stable with 3 years of Debian standard version-support plus 2 more years of Debian LTS. Add to this MX's extended support for its own packages, and you have an OS that can easily accommodate users needing long-term productivity features.
I kinda like it as it sets MX apart from Rolling or LTS Distros and all the rest ... a great "branding" if you will. Whaddya think folks? If I get a green-light i will send this little nut-shell to Dedo as my spin on his (and others) concern(s).
I don't think that's helpful. The noise adds to the confusion. It's OK if you believe those things about ESR and LTS, but at its core those comments about ESR and five years are misleading.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bluesguy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Yeah, but if you go back and look at where I got the references, it was anticapitalista that said MX included the Debian LTS option.
Re: LTS or Rolling
Unread post by sagsaw » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:15 pm
Can they MXLinux Developers include the Debian Extended LTS

Unread post by anticapitalista » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:25 pm
It already does. In fact, MX offers longer support for its own packages.
Therefore, the ESR thing seems to me to be a good compromise, side-stepping any relation to LTS or Rolling allusions (or illusions :confused:) ... haven't come across any other distro that uses the ESR moniker ... again, anticapitalista confirmed the (roughly) 5-year support ... guess it was I who got misled ... bottom line, there is a prevalent sense of non-commital and ambiguity whenever the question arises regarding the longevity of an MX release ... So, for folks that are looking for long-term productivity features from MX, I threw this out in the wild to get a defining identifier of MX's longevity features ... something that's nowhere clearly stated ... I paraphrased the info into a brief 2 sentence synopsis and gave a name ... nothing misleading about that unless you take issue with anticapitalista's assessment ...

Head_on_a_Stick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Head_on_a_Stick » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 am

Bluesguy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 am
One of my initial questions regarding MX's version(s) longevity took into account my understanding of Debian's position regarding LTS:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
Debian do not have an "LTS release" at all.

Debian have a stable release, for which their official Security Team provide support until the next stable release, any security-related updates after that are provided by the LTS team.

Non-security-related updates do occasionally happen in the stable release but they are rare (except for Firefox & Chromium, which are special cases).

As MX Linux is based on the stable release then that will also receive security-related updates from Debian's Security Team until the next Debian stable version is out, at which point their security-related updates will come from the volunteers on the LTS team.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with MX development.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by anticapitalista » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 am

An example might suffice - MX-15, released 24 Dec 2015, is based on Debian jessie and is still receiving updates from both Debian (LTS) and MX repos.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bluesguy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:05 am

OK folks, let me be clear ...
(1) I totally understand that there is no such thing as a Debian LTS
(2) MX includes the Debian LTS Team's security updates for down-the-road, etc., plus extended support for its own packages

So let me again repeat my question (in a different way again) ... How can you best characterize MX's version(s) longevity when someone asks you for how long is MX supported?
Section 1.4, "Support" from the Manual is pretty basic on this, except for the final sentence ...
• Security. Security updates from Debian will cover MX Linux users well into the foreseeable future.
The what? Can be read /understood/misunderstood as saying "MX is based on Debian Stable and will be supported until sometime(?) in the future." or whatever ... seems to downplay/disregard/non-commit to what is already known from the many different discussions on this and similar threads, i.e. MX includes the Debian LTS's Team security updates for down-the-road ... that's not foreseeable, but quite definitive as a time-table.
So one last time, and let's not miss the forest-for-the-trees ...
How can you best characterize MX's version(s) LONGEVITY when someone asks you for how long is MX supported?
... I offered one suggestion, now another ...
MX is based on Debian Stable with 3 years of Debian standard version-support and includes 2 more years from Debian LTS Team. Add to this MX's extended support for its own packages, and you have an OS that can easily accommodate users needing long-term productivity features.
... anyone else game? As I'm writing this, anticapitalista chimed in with another to-the-point and succinct example. Thanks anticapitalista!
Last edited by Bluesguy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by anticapitalista » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:12 am

To add to my example.

Debian LTS team for jessie offers support from 17th June 2018 to June 30, 2020.
After that date, they might just shut own the repo, or they might continue it. No-one really knows.
MX team offers support for MX-15 jessie to June 30, 2020 at least.
The MX package team may continue to add updates after this date, I don't know.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Return to “General”