MX-18 beta 1 feedback

dreamer

Re: MX-18 beta 1 feedback

#291 Post by dreamer »

Just want to post the freetype 2.8 TTF font rendering fix that I have referred to earlier. I haven't tested it myself, but there was a lot of complaints about font rendering with freetype 2.8. Some were fixed with 2.8.1. But it seems TTF defaults were changed permanently.

From this bug report (similar can be found for Debian, Arch etc - doesn't really matter):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1722508

The solution to achieve freetype 2.6 TTF font rendering without downgrading seems to be found in post 36.
In german ubuntuusers forum there is an simpler solution without need to downgrade libfreetype.
https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/post/8914328/

Just add

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35 cff:no-stem-darkening=1 autofitter:warping=1"

in /etc/environment and restart x-server or reboot.
The posts following this one confirm that this fixes this particular issue with freetype 2.8.1, for example:
Thanks for the tip! Defining the FREETYPE_PROPERTIES as you suggested in /etc/environment did indeed disable hinting and renders the same crisper fonts as was in earlier versions of Ubuntu. Personally, I still prefer to disable hinting in the source code but your suggestion works just as well.

vamsi

#292 Post by vamsi »

Content Deleted shifted to other thread viewtopic.php?f=108&t=47288
Sorry for Noob question in this thread can LIVE USB MAKER can make windows / other linux ditributions bootable usb drives? If not possible is there any chance to include them and other problem is whenever i use linux commands to make bootable usb using gparted to format the usb drive makes it some time difficult i hope if there is any one app ( ONE CLICK PENDRIVE FORMAT AND ONE CLICK BOOTABLE USB MAKER) to care bot of these would be much helpful and make things easier for newbies
Last edited by vamsi on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Developer

#293 Post by Adrian »

vamsi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 am Sorry for Noob question in this thread can LIVE USB MAKER can make windows / other linux ditributions bootable usb drives? If not possible is there any chance to include them and other problem is whenever i use linux commands to make bootable usb using gparted to format the usb drive makes it some time difficult i hope if there is any one app ( ONE CLICK PENDRIVE FORMAT AND ONE CLICK BOOTABLE USB MAKER) to care bot of these would be much helpful and make things easier for newbies
So if you are aware you ask in the wrong thread why do you do it? Do you think your question will be ignored if you ask in a separate thread? You can use the tool to create other USB that can be created with dd (basically all modern linux distros that have ISOs created with isohybrid) it cannot be used to create Windows bootable drives, for that you use Windows live maker tool, if you don't have access to Windows I think there are some ways to do it but it's beyond my interests and especially beyond of the scope of this thread.

ekeimaja

#294 Post by ekeimaja »

Now installing it in VBox in my laptop, and everything has worked fine. Could you now take Flash away from default installation, so users, who wants it, can install it manually.

Also there is a bug (or feature) in the installer, which I have discovered in MX 17 installer too. When defining created partitions for root, home and swap, and putting them encrypted gives error if not unencrypted boot partition has been defined, and continue button is then disabled even you fix the problem and only solution is to go back to previous step and then return.

EDIT: after installing when rebooting I got error: FATAL: keyboard error: 995. But when restarted the VM, booted normally.
Desktop: AMD 3700X, 32 Gb RAM, RX 5700XT (MX 23.1)
Laptops: Juno Nyx 15 v1, Intel i5-10210U, 16Gb RAM (MX 21.2)
Asus Eee 1005P, Intel Atom N450, 2 Gb RAM, Intel GMA3150 (MX 21.2)

skidoo

#295 Post by skidoo »

unexpected (by me) content present in the top-level directory:
------------------------------
/Build/ (26MB ~~ the content of build-iso)
/.fehbg
/.config
/.cache

dpkg -S /.fehbg
^---v
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /.fehbg

mx-snapshot-exclude.list
persist-save-exclude.list
live-remaster-exclude.list
---------- CONSIDER ADDING PATTERNS FOR THESE "EXPENSIVE" DIRS:
home/*/.cache/mozilla/firefox/*/thumbnails/*
home/*/.thumbnails/*

mx-snapshot-exclude.list (AND/OR other lists)
home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/Cache/*
^-------- must now be home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/cache2/*

persist-save-exclude.list
---------- ? hmm, should contents of trash be preserved across live sessions? (tough question)
---------- perhaps persist-save script should test/warn if trash content exceeds some threshhold ?
home/*/.Trash*
home/*/.local/share/Trash/*

live-remaster-exclude.list
---------- ? should "cache2", "trash", and "...thumbnails/*" be added to this list also?

noticed in ~/.xsession-errors:
"(xfce4-session:9933): xfce4-session-WARNING **: 23:01:10.553: xfsm_manager_load_session: Something wrong with
/home/demo/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-mx1:0, Does it exist? Permissions issue?"
-=-
"cat: /home/demo/.config/mx-sounds/startupsound.conf: No such file or directory"
-=-
"(clipit:9989): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 23:01:11.029: ../../../../gobject/gsignal.c:2523: signal 'child-added' is
invalid for instance '0x55dbef624130' of type 'GtkMenu' "
-=-
"No window manager registered on screen 0. To start the xfdesktop without this check, run with --disable-wm-check."
-=-
"conky: Syntax error (/home/demo/.conky/MX-Default/Hermoso_sys_mx171:1: '=' expected near 'no') while reading config file."

noticed in /var/log/user.log:
" [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/home/demo/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory"
" [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/home/demo/.config/pulse "
---------------^ aha, matches the unexpected top-level dir content

noticed in /var/log/live/make-fstab.log:
(idunno the expected result)

Code: Select all

Create new /etc/fstab
Put 1 hard drive entry into /etc/fstab
Exit: Swap only
Exit: add /dev/sdc: no filesystem uuid
Exit: add /dev/sda: no filesystem uuid
Exit: add /dev/sdb: no filesystem uuid
Exit: no fstab.hotplug file
Exit: add /dev/sdc3: no filesystem uuid
Exit: add /dev/sdd: no filesystem uuid

noticed in /var/log/boot: CUPS is autostarted, yet saned is disabled (if that's the desired default, okay)

noticed in /var/log/dmesg:
"usb_common: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel"

Jerry3904
Administrator

#296 Post by Jerry3904 »

Could you now take Flash away from default installation, so users, who wants it, can install it manually.
Sorry, that's not the way we operate. Please take a look at the Users Manual Section 1.7.2 on non-free software. Fundamental point:
MX Linux is fundamentally user-oriented, so includes a certain amount of non-free software to assure that the system works out of the box as much as possible.
Flash is easily uninstalled using the Package Installer.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

mg979

#297 Post by mg979 »

Hello, I have a question. MX 18 recognizes the wifi of my laptop, whereas MX 17.1 can't. If I install MX 18 on the hard drive, will I have to reinstall the stable release? Or will it be 'promoted' thorough updates? Thanks

Jerry3904
Administrator

#298 Post by Jerry3904 »

mg979 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 am Hello, I have a question. MX 18 recognizes the wifi of my laptop, whereas MX 17.1 can't. If I install MX 18 on the hard drive, will I have to reinstall the stable release? Or will it be 'promoted' thorough updates? Thanks
I'm not understanding the question, sorry. In general: MX-18 will be the stable release, and there will be no reason to install any earlier version along with that.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#299 Post by dolphin_oracle »

mg979 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 am Hello, I have a question. MX 18 recognizes the wifi of my laptop, whereas MX 17.1 can't. If I install MX 18 on the hard drive, will I have to reinstall the stable release? Or will it be 'promoted' thorough updates? Thanks
We support upgrades from the Release Candidate (RC) stage forward. a beta iso will receive updates, but it will always identify itself as a beta. There are a few items that cannot be fixed via update that will be fixed on the RC iso (soon to come).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

mg979

#300 Post by mg979 »

Thanks to both of you. I asked because right now it's the only way I can have Linux with wifi on my laptop, not even Ubuntu works. When will the stable release or the RC be available, approximatively? I guess I'll have to wait for that one. Thanks

Return to “General”