Good DE for someone coming from Android phone

Eggnog

Good DE for someone coming from Android phone

#1 Post by Eggnog »

My son uses his android phone (S9) for everything. It doesn't matter, if he can do it on his phone, he will. It's come time, though, that he needs to start using a desktop or laptop for his business. It's a small business but it's starting to grow some legs. He's not very computer literate and can get around in Windows if he has to, but he doesn't care much Windows 10 and can tolerate Windows 7 a little. He pretty much thinks they're both junk.

I'm going to set up a laptop or desktop for him for Quickbooks, office suite, etc. Thinking about going LTS Ubuntu for him so he doesn't have to mess with it much, but I'm open for other suggestions. I can sort of set it and forget it, for the most part. I thought about MX, but I'm not sure he'd like Xfce too much and probably won't want to worry about updating even at MX's pace. Mint's fonts look way too washed out any more. I'm wondering what kind of DE would be easiest for someone coming from an Android phone? Gnome, Budgie, something else ...?

Stevo
Developer

Re: Good DE for someone coming from Android phone

#2 Post by Stevo »

I think you could run into trouble trying to run Quickbooks in Linux with Wine, but I haven't researched that. GNOME and KDE are probably the closest to an Android shell, but I'm pretty sure you can also run Android on a desktop, or even Android apps on a Linux desktop.

philotux

#3 Post by philotux »

Eggnog wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 pm I'm wondering what kind of DE would be easiest for someone coming from an Android phone? Gnome, Budgie, something else ...?
Deepin maybe. If you don't want to go Deepin OS, you could install the DE on Ubuntu: How to Install Deepin Desktop Environment on Ubuntu 18.04 ...
deepin1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sunrat

#4 Post by sunrat »

KDE Plasma with its Dashboard launcher would look somewhat like Android. There's even an unofficial MX KDE respin.

Eggnog

#5 Post by Eggnog »

He'll run Quickbooks Online, so that won't be a problem. I hadn't really thought about KDE, and Deepin sounds interesting. I will check them both out. I like the idea of KDE on MX, actually. I might give that a shot first, but on a fresh install on a different partition. Then I might reinstall Ubuntu 18.04 using the minimal install on a spare partition and add the Deepin DE. This will give me enough to do for now. Thanks for the ideas, all.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”