desktop background changed without my input

rdotex

desktop background changed without my input

#1 Post by rdotex »

How did my desktop background change without my input? It has done it twice in the last 2 days!

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: desktop background changed without my input

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

rdotex wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:37 am How did my desktop background change without my input? It has done it twice in the last 2 days!
no clue, we haven't touched any background settings. those are stored in the home folder and we never touch home folders during package upgrades.

the only thing I can think to check is to see if xfdesktop is running or has crashed. backgrounds can look different that way because the lightdm background will still be visible if xfdesktop isn't starting.

the easiest way to check to see if xfdesktop is running is to right click on the desktop. if you get a menu, xfdesktop is running. If you don't (or possibly just limited), its not.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

rdotex

#3 Post by rdotex »

Well, it seems that xfdesktop is running. I was using one of the desktop images that came with mx17, but now I can't find how to re-install it. The first change was a photo that was on my desktop, then today it was 'black'. When I click on desktop settings now, there are no images to chose from.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

I'd guess magic... :anispider2:

Seriously, I have restarted the desktop on xfce and had that happen. But, I rotate wallpaper backgrounds. Not much help I know. Sorry.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

rdotex wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:32 am Well, it seems that xfdesktop is running. I was using one of the desktop images that came with mx17, but now I can't find how to re-install it. The first change was a photo that was on my desktop, then today it was 'black'. When I click on desktop settings now, there are no images to chose from.
in the desktop settings app, in the lower left, there is a button for selecting the folder for backgrounds. we put backgrounds in /usr/share/backgrounds. You might have to use "other..." to navigate to the folder.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

Following up on @dolphin_oracle's comment. I, personally, find it helpful to create my own background wallpaper folders and place them in /usr/share/background/<my-wallpapers> Then when I want to add new ones they always have a home; and since I like to rotate backgrounds, I store my images by seasonal/holiday folder (winter, fall, etc.).

I change the directory seasonally for mood 'enhancement'. Maybe that's mood altering... anyway. You can do all sorts of things based on your personal preferences, just remember to keep a master copy of your favorite images. :crossfingers:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Auro Kumar Sahoo

#7 Post by Auro Kumar Sahoo »

In background settings please check for change wallpaper and if it's given any time duration like, every hour or every day..
That may cause change in desktop wallpaper.
Default desktop wallpaper are found as dolphin Oracle mentioned.
Wallpapers for mx : https://www.flickr.com/photos/aurokumar ... 2672882131 & page2
MX help : https://mxlinux.org/manuals/

दुर्लभम् हि सदा सुखम् ||{Ramayan २-१८-१३}
To be happy always is something which is difficult to achieve.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”