Switch between different display settings

Discostu

Re: Switch between different display settings

#21 Post by Discostu »

Thanks, I also copied the file for the panel. I think it'd be great if there was documentation somewhere about the relationship between configuration windows and files. Like if I click on "Help", that the Wiki page should have something like
Settings changed in this window are stored in home/%user%/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml
Default settings for this window stored in /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml

Jerry3904
Administrator

#22 Post by Jerry3904 »

Good suggestion (add to which Help file?).
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Discostu

#23 Post by Discostu »

I think whatever page opens when clicking the "help" button in a window.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#24 Post by Jerry3904 »

Right, but the Help button on which app?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Discostu

#25 Post by Discostu »

All of them :happy: Well, I really think that it should be documented for every settings windows where it stores the entered information and how to access the defaults. In this case I am talking about Appearance, Panel and Orage Panel Clock.

fehlix
Developer

#26 Post by fehlix »

Discostu wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm All of them :happy: Well, I really think that it should be documented for every settings windows where it stores the entered information and how to access the defaults. In this case I am talking about Appearance, Panel and Orage Panel Clock.
I don't think so. The help files are for all user to provide general help. If you want to become an Xfce/Linux expert knowing about all the little details our help files will certainly not be exhausted enough for that exercise.

I've pointed you already to the default settings, which is a bit to much already for new user.
Just use our existing tools like MX Tweak where you find panel backup or use our MX User Manager to copy all settings from an existing user. Just create a new user, do your tuning within this new user-profile and copy to the old user.

Certainly you are welcome to provide update to our help files and wiki.
Just send us the updated helpfile or a new one and we will review to incorporate this into our existing ones.
Thanks
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#27 Post by dolphin_oracle »

the xfce wiki does a good job detailing out what does what in the Xfce world. I use it quite regularly, along with some of the "man" pages (especially for terminal and xfconf).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fehlix
Developer

#28 Post by fehlix »

+1, and don't forget the arch-wiki, one of the best with extrem details and high quality.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Discostu

#29 Post by Discostu »

fehlix wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm When you have found out all the settings you need to switch let us know. We might prepare something which may be usefull for others too. Thanks.
DPI
Orage Clock: Font Sizes for each row
Panel: row size
Notification Area: Maximum Icon Size
Desktop: Icon Size
Window Manager: Theme

But the result is still not quite satisfactory, see screenshot. Maybe it is really easier to just use a low resolution.

Discostu

#30 Post by Discostu »

Just wanted to let you know that I can't reproduce the problem anymore. I'm not sure if this is because of the new version of MX Linux or because I have switched from persistent USB to installation on USB... but I'm happy. MX Linux looks great on both laptops.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”