Thunar - Camera - Very annoying missing privileges !!!

linwinux

Thunar - Camera - Very annoying missing privileges !!!

#1 Post by linwinux »

Hmmm, I wasn't sure if I should post this under Hardware or under Desktop, but here we go ...
I've been an avid hobby photographer for the past 30+ years. Ever since I switched to Linux, starting with Ubuntu back around 2008 or so, I never had a problem connecting my camera to the computer via USB cable, followed by being able to do whatever the heck I want, with my photos which are located on the camera. My very simple procedure for getting ready to work with my photos while they're still in the camera is generally always the same method:

1. Connect cable to camera.
2. Power on the camera.
3. Open file manager and locate camera.
4. Open folder with photos and CTRL + A followed by CTRL + X for removal of photos to specific location on disk.

For the past numerous years, regardless if I was using Ubuntu, Xubuntu, or Mint, this has never been a problem ... until now. With MX Linux & Thunar the photos can be located without a problem, but I can neither move nor delete the photos which I find incredibly irritating. Went on a long hike with our dog this morning, took some pretty phenomenal photos, and can't get them off the camera storage. I've tried opening the folder location on the camera as root in order to re-assign ownership privileges ... didn't work. Tried assigning ownership of camera folder to computer user via terminal, using both chown -R as well as trying to assign 777 chmod settings, both of which failed due to lacking privileges. If I try to find the camera/folder within system/media or system/mnt it doesn't show up there ... even though it's visible in Thunar. Starting off with Thunar opened as root, displays neither the camera nor the camera folders anywhere! This is quite annoying to say the least. How can I make sure that the camera is automatically recognized as a device that's owned by the user, i.e. not owned by root? I also tried pcmanfm, which yielded the same problems. So this is something that has to do specifically with MX ... methinks. :frown:
camera_nocut_nodelete.jpg
camera_nocut_nodelete2.jpg
camera_nocut_nodelete3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Thunar - Camera - Very annoying missing privileges !!!

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

My Canon cameras work OOTB; connect, and they appear in Thunar, then browse to the DCIM folder. For cameras where this doesn't work, installing Shotwell usually fixes things.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

I can't delete from my smartphone, though copy works fine. I use either the phone's app or AirDroid to remove them.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

linwinux

#4 Post by linwinux »

Well, I'm not using my smartphone, but rather an actual digital camera. I'll install shotwell and see what happens, but that's definitely not my preferred solution. I really like to use nothing but the file manager, to instantly open the appropriate app for any file automatically. Hopefully this will be resolved at some point ... ???

antiX-Dave
Developer

#5 Post by antiX-Dave »

Perhaps it is mounting as ro instead of rw? Not sure why it would default to this but perhaps crafting a fstab entry for rw would resolve this issue.

linwinux

#6 Post by linwinux »

I have no idea what it's mounting as. I just see a little USB camera on the upper left side of Thunar and know that that's my device. In standard, non-root mode, I can access the camera with its folders and view as well as copy the photos. If I open Thunar as root from the terminal, I can't even do that. I'm not messing with the Fstab unless someone can provide me with the proper, MX Linux compatible adjustments to make. Messing around with Fstab without knowing exactly what I (or anyone else for that matter) am doing there, can cause for the sytem to become unstable. I used to edit the Fstab for disks all of the time, until I got my first conflict with the (then new) Disks app that Mint started using. After that I just enabled auto-mount from there permanently. I'm sure that's possible with MX too, just haven't found that setting yet ...

I tried Shotwell which does indeed provide the option to delete images after an import, but that's twice the time and twice the work of just cutting them directly from the camera into the right folder on the hard disk. For now I'll have to live with that I guess. :bawling: Getting things done directly from within Thunar is just so much faster. If I log out of MX, how do I log back in as root only (if that's possible from the login screen)?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

It's not really mounted. The camera is connected via the gphoto2 protocol, as can be seen in your screenshots in the address bar.

I'm not sure that gphoto2 supports "cut" operations. I'm surpised that a straight up delete didn't work in thunar.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

If it's possible to check your camera settings to see if you can specity a mass storage mode. My little cheapy Kodak had 2 storage modes. One comes up in gphoto and the other as a standard usb mass storage device.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

Huh. I went into Thunar > Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Volume Management, clicked on "Configure" link. I enabled "Auto-open files on new drives and media." I then opened the smartphone and set the USB option to "File Transfer" and now can delete images. I unchecked the option I had enabled, logged out and back in, and can still delete.

Need to try a regular camera next...yup, delete works with my little Canon as well.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#10 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Jerry, thanks!! Seriously this is the first time I click on that configure link.. all these years I held off on that one because I thought it had to do with the SOUND volume *snort*
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”