Adding other DE's to MX17 - SOLVED

rickc

Adding other DE's to MX17 - SOLVED

#1 Post by rickc »

Loving Gnome 3, which I added as soon as I installed 17. Although it's very poor as it comes, with the right extensions I think it's the most productive and intuitive DE to use. The inbuilt support for adding other DE's is a major plus to this distro.

My questions - have I made MX slower by installing it? I understand it will use more resources and be slower than XFCE.....but what I'm wondering is....is my OS still as quick as if Gnome 3 was installed by default, or will I now have extra and unnecessary background processes as both DE's will be calling different things up? Current performance is excellent, just wondering! Also, if I wanted to give KDE a spin....again, if I install it will Gnome be slowed when I return to it?

I'm running an old but powerful Dell Latitude, i5, SSD, 8gb ram. I'm tempted to give MX a proper try as it is, because although I find XFCE old fashioned, it must be enjoyable to watch your system fly.
Cheers
Rick
Last edited by rickc on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Adding other DE's to MX17

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

usually performance shouldn't be hit just be installing another DE. they don't run simultaneously.

you might want to check the autostart settings to make sure multiple instances of something is running at launch (I don't know what that would be, so consider this a general thing).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

rickc

Re: Adding other DE's to MX17

#3 Post by rickc »

dolphin_oracle wrote:usually performance shouldn't be hit just be installing another DE. they don't run simultaneously.

you might want to check the autostart settings to make sure multiple instances of something is running at launch (I don't know what that would be, so consider this a general thing).
Cheers. It's good to know I can check out other DE's without having to use virtualbox or test a different distro

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”