Grub on Live USB, Boot without usb error

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
fehlix
Developer

Re: Grub on Live USB, Boot without usb error

#11 Post by fehlix »

arcon wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:53 pm
fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:42 pm Not sure about "Linpus Lite", how did you created the MX Linux LiveUSB?
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/create- ... s-desktop/ <- with that tutorial... followed it step by step
When having created with "latest" "MX Live USB Maker", the MX LiveUSB drive should have another Label something like "MX_Live" or "antix-Live".
BW: You would not need UNetbootin as mentioned, but better use Rufus instead on windows
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

arcon

#12 Post by arcon »

fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:07 pm created with "latest" "MX Live USB Maker", the MX LiveUSB drive should have another Label something like "MX_Live" or "antix-Live".
BW: You would not need UNetbootin as mentioned, but better use Rufus instead on windows
alrighty - gonna start again from scratch with Rufus ... ill get back again when/if it worked :D

edit - should i update the mx live creator tools on the "install usb" before creating the live usb ?

fehlix
Developer

#13 Post by fehlix »

arcon wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 pm
fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:07 pm created with "latest" "MX Live USB Maker", the MX LiveUSB drive should have another Label something like "MX_Live" or "antix-Live".
alrighty - gonna start again from scratch with Rufus ... ill get back again when/if it worked :D

edit - should i update the mx live creator tools on the "install usb" before creating the live usb ?
Some notes:
When having created LiveUSB with Rufus, you would already have a full-functional LiveUSB including the option to use "Persistence". The reason we recommend to use a LiveUSB made with "MX LiveUSB Maker" is that we use the ext4 jorunaling file system on the live-partition. Rufus is using either FAT32 or NTFS. Both do not feature journaling when booting our LiveUSB system. (Note NTFS journaling is supported within running WinOS, though).
In order to have a long-lived LiveUSB with persistence, we do recommend to have a working jornaling filesystem like ext4. Otherwise any crash, can make your LiveUSB unbootable.
HTH
:puppy:

arcon

#14 Post by arcon »

fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:23 pm Some notes:
When having created LiveUSB with Rufus, you would already have a full-functional LiveUSB including the option to use "Persistence". The reason we recommend to use a LiveUSB made with "MX LiveUSB Maker" is that we use the ext4 jorunaling file system on the live-partition. Rufus is using either FAT32 or NTFS. Both do not feature journaling when booting our LiveUSB system. (Note NTFS journaling is supported within running WinOS, though).
In order to have a long-lived LiveUSB with persistence, we do recommend to have a working jornaling filesystem like ext4. Otherwise any crash, can make your LiveUSB unbootable.
HTH
so i should create a full-functional live usb from a already working live usb - but i cant create one :D ?
sorry i think i dont get it :x

fehlix
Developer

#15 Post by fehlix »

arcon wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:18 pm
fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:23 pm Some notes:
HTH
so i should create a full-functional live usb from a already working live usb - but i cant create one :D ?
sorry i think i dont get it :x
You can keep the Rufus created LiveUSB, but keep in mind the aforementioned issues.

Return to “Installation”