installer freezing [SOLVED]

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
Blintok57

installer freezing [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Blintok57 »

Cannot figure out why this will not install.

I download latest iso. Create bootable stick with Rufus. System starts. When i click on install. it goes thru the motions. i am able to enter in all the information up to my log in name / password and root password.
There it sits. No HD activity. Let it run for 20 min and the installer sits at 1%

I am running an Intel 4790k on a Asus Maximus Hero VII. 16g ram.
I have 4 hard drives on a switch. 1st is (what i am running now) Solus linux
2 and 3 are Windows 10
4 is where i am trying to install MX
(to be clear, i shut down and turn off all the drives but the required. So when i am running Solus the other drives are off)

I have run the updater in the test install. all updates but install still freezes
I have restarted and gone into MXTools >package installer > stable repo > mx-installer and then update it.
still will not install. everything else works. I am able to use and open things in the MX "Start" menu

the most frustrating thing is. I have MX running as i type. In a Virtual box on Solus. Same iso installs in virtual box but not on a live system.

As for the usb stick. I am able to use this to install everything from Mint / Manjaro / PopOS / Fedora / Debian / Zorin / Deepin and KDE Neon (have tried them all)

really want to give MX a proper "go" on a live system instead of in virtual box
Last edited by Blintok57 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: installer freezing

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Try updating the installer before running the installer.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt install mx-installer
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#3 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Which version of MX are you talking about?
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Blintok57

#4 Post by Blintok57 »

i have been trying to install 18.3_x64

As i stated in op. Running install from a fresh boot up. freeze
running install after running packages update. freeze
running install after updating just installer thru mx-tools. freeze
running install after entering sudo apt update && sudo apt install mx-installer, freeze

when i check version number of installer thru mx-tools it says it is latest version (1974)
How can i be sure the desktop icon is pointing to the updated version? When i mouse over the install icon it does not list a version number
and shows a last accessed date in May. Should not it now have todays date?

very frustrating. why does it install on same computer in virtual box but not as a live install.

Huckleberry Finn

#5 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Yes, it works in VM but, did you check the iso sum? Also does anything change when installing with the command

Code: Select all

sudo minstall
If it's checked and freezes again with the command, you can paste the terminal output here (between code tags using < / > icon) and maybe it gives a clue where and why it stops...

Yes, I know you trust the usb but nothing to lose to try with a different one. Sometimes checking the sum of the iso and/or changing the usb really solves such frustrating issues..

Blintok57

#6 Post by Blintok57 »

well was finally able to get MX installed. The only thing is i am running MX19 Beta 2.1
happy to finally get it running. Now to wait for 19 to go live.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

Please edit your original post #1 (via the pencil icon at the top right) and add [SOLVED] to its subject if you're happy with this solution. This makes it easier for others when they're searching the forum looking for solutions to the same question or problem. Thanks.

Otherwise if you'd prefer to install MX-18.3, make a live USB and at its boot menu press F5 and choose persist_all. Accept the default sizes for rootfs and homefs. When prompted to select how it should save, choose 1 (auto.) Enter new passwords for root and demo when prompted (they must be at least 6 characters long.) After you've gotten to the desktop, run MX Package Installer, go to the Stable Repo tab, type mx-installer in the search field, check the checkbox at the left of it and click the Upgrade button. This will ensure that you have the latest version. Try installing again and see if it still locks up.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Blintok57

Re: installer freezing [SOLVED]

#8 Post by Blintok57 »

hmm. one thing that stands out from your comment JayM.

When you say, "Passwords for root and demo ...(they must be at least 6 characters long.) "

when i was installing, for the user password it was only 5 characters. Root was 7 characters. Could that be the reason the install stopped?
Then again, when i installed the 19.2 beta i used the same 5 and 7 character passwords and it worked.
An error message stating required password length would be helpful it this is the reason for failure to install.

I guess i could try to install 18.3 using longer passwords but i finally got it working and do not want to mess with it ;-)
Also if they must be 6 characters why are the default only 4? (demo - root)

Return to “Installation”