Frugal installation questions

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Frugal installation questions

#1 Post by JayM »

See, in the other thread I told you I was still a newbie! :)

1. I think I read in the documentation that you can do a frugal installation into an existing partition without harming anything that's already there, and can even use a Windows partition (ntfs.). Is that correct? I just want to be sure. There's really not that much info in either the manual or the wiki regarding frugal installation. (No, I didn't watch Dolphin Oracle's videos.)

2. Can a frugal installation install to a LUKS-encrypted partition, or does it have to be an unencrypted one?

3. If I understand correctly all that's needed is to (re)label a partition "antiX-Frugal" for it to be able to be used. Correct?

4. What happens if you encrypt your Live USB in LUM when you burn the MX ISO? Are the frugal files on the HDD/SSD also encrypted? What about the entire partition?

5. Can you do more than one frugal installation, from different live USBs made using different ISOs, onto the same partition?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Frugal installation questions

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

JayM wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:17 am See, in the other thread I told you I was still a newbie! :)

1. I think I read in the documentation that you can do a frugal installation into an existing partition without harming anything that's already there, and can even use a Windows partition (ntfs.). Is that correct? I just want to be sure. There's really not that much info in either the manual or the wiki regarding frugal installation. (No, I didn't watch Dolphin Oracle's videos.)

2. Can a frugal installation install to a LUKS-encrypted partition, or does it have to be an unencrypted one?

3. If I understand correctly all that's needed is to (re)label a partition "antiX-Frugal" for it to be able to be used. Correct?

4. What happens if you encrypt your Live USB in LUM when you burn the MX ISO? Are the frugal files on the HDD/SSD also encrypted? What about the entire partition?

5. Can you do more than one frugal installation, from different live USBs made using different ISOs, onto the same partition?
1. that's pretty much true. the entire installation goes into a folder on the partition.

2. I don't know if the frugal-install routine, which is done from the live init system, will open the luks encrypted partition or not.

3. yes, although you still need to boot from either the live-usb in frugal mode or set up your own bootloader. update-grub won't pick up a frugal install scenario.

4.. luks in on the partition, so I the partitions on the live-usb are luks containers for the filesystems within. this would probably be bad for a frugal install if you were sharing the partition with other files.

5. theoretically yes.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Frugal installation questions

#3 Post by JayM »

OK, thanks.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Installation”