using old hardware if possible

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
newnerd

Re: using old hardware if possible

#11 Post by newnerd »

I managed to download iso to dvd now how do i go about getting the mx linux on to my pc.

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb »

Your best resource is the user manual., Manuals at the top right of the Forum. Installation instructions start at Section 2.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

newnerd

#13 Post by newnerd »

I figured out how to burn dvd. but how do i get whats on the dvd to run on my pc. I did not think switching from windows10 to mx linux would be this difficult

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

newnerd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:13 pm I figured out how to burn dvd. but how do i get whats on the dvd to run on my pc. I did not think switching from windows10 to mx linux would be this difficult
It is really not that hard. Did you take my advice and read the manual on installation?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

newnerd

#15 Post by newnerd »

I read the manual . But how do I get the Mx linux operating system onto my pc so I can get rid of windows10. I have been trying for several hours and I still don't know how to get the dvd to download the mx linux onto my computer.
P.S> It's only easy if you know how/or have done it before. Any help would be appreciated , Thank you.

Fibogacci

#16 Post by Fibogacci »

newnerd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:13 pm I figured out how to burn dvd. but how do i get whats on the dvd to run on my pc. I did not think switching from windows10 to mx linux would be this difficult
I suppose/hope you didn't COPY your ISO file to DVD, but you did choose option eg. "Burn ISO to DVD".

If that is correct, just put your DVD disc into your DVD drive and turn on your computer (or restart/reset).

Usually it should be ok and MX Linux should boot from DVD. If not (Windows is booting first or nothing happens), you must change boot order in your computer's BIOS/UEFI. Do you know what is BIOS/UEFI and its settings and how to change it?

When you run sucessfully MX Linux (Live session), on your desktop (left top corner) you will find icon "Installer". Click on it, it will run MX Linux Installer (which installs MX Linux to your hard drive).

Follow the instructions.

But first - DO backup of any important files from your Windows installation (if there are any important files to you).
Last edited by Fibogacci on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#17 Post by j2mcgreg »

Here's a suggestion: do a search on Google to see if there is a L.U.G (Linux Users Group) in your city or town. If there is, approach them and ask for help with the initial install. I know that the Toronto Lug hosts install fests periodically throughout the year.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

Stevo
Developer

#18 Post by Stevo »

newnerd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:18 pm I am trying to load iso to usb drive. using etcher I keep getting this message----The writer process ended unexpectedly . Please try again and contact the Etcher team if the problem persists. I also bought new hp DVD+RW to try but I don't know how to burn a cd either.
Try Rufus on Windows instead.

Michael-IDA

#19 Post by Michael-IDA »

UNetbootin should be able to help you get a bootable Live USB drive.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

You still may have to navigate though your bios to get the USB to boot though.

Another suggestion is to buy a new HD so that you can leave your Windows HD alone.

Best,
Michael
MX-19, Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE)
NIH Cancer Study: The group supplemented with both vitamins and fenbendazole exhibited significant (P = 0.009) inhibition of tumor growth.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#20 Post by JayM »

Michael-IDA wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:28 pm UNetbootin should be able to help you get a bootable Live USB drive.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

You still may have to navigate though your bios to get the USB to boot though.

Another suggestion is to buy a new HD so that you can leave your Windows HD alone.

Best,
Michael
I never have good luck with unetbootin creating a bootable USB, at least not the Linux versions. For Windows I second Stevo's suggestion to use Rufus:
https://rufus.ie/
I would also format the USB stick from within Rufus prior to burning the ISO image, just to be on the safe side.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Installation”