News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3.1 release info here

New users[/u
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 18.1 is a no go

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

MX 18.1 is a no go

Post by j2mcgreg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:55 am

The MX 18.1 point release failed from the get go on this laptop (see sig)., so I then searched for " successful linux install on Acer Aspire3 A315-41". I was thinking that at this point any linux is better than Win 10. Anyway the search led me to this page where the Canonical developers are discussing this buggy series of Acer laptops:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/amd/+bug/1776563

I can understand some of it, but it is generally above my pay grade and I'm hoping that the devs here can interpret it and give me some pointers on how to proceed.

TIA

John

edited for grammar
Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R2W5, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega Mobile Graphics, 8 GB ram, 1000 TB hdd

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX 18.1 is a no go

Post by Adrian » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:05 pm

John, can you give me more info, did you try any other MX on that laptop, what does it mean "failed from the get go" you were not able to boot? Did you see an error message?

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 pm

j2mcgreg wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:55 am
The MX 18.1 point release failed from the get go on this laptop (see sig)., so I then searched for " successful linux install on Acer Aspire3 A315-41". I was thinking that at this point any linux is better than Win 10. Anyway the search led me to this page where the Canonical developers are discussing this buggy series of Acer laptops:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/amd/+bug/1776563

I can understand some of it, but it is generally above my pay grade and I'm hoping that the devs here can interpret it and give me some pointers on how to proceed.

TIA

John

edited for grammar
Was this a fresh install, John? Or did it fail on the update/upgrade which should have been nearly invisible? Are you able to share the results of MXTools--Quick Systems Info here?
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
MX-18 4.20.0-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64
Dell Latitude E5470
Dual Core Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 24GB SSD: 978.09 GiB
Reg. Linux User #449130

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Reading through the Ubuntu thread, it seems the recommended way to get that computer to boot is to press e at the grub screen so you can edit the boot line, then add these parameters after the existing "quiet" parameter.

Code: Select all

ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 clocksource=hpet iommu=on amd_iommu=on amdgpu.dc=1
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by j2mcgreg » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:16 am

Adrian wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:05 pm
John, can you give me more info, did you try any other MX on that laptop, what does it mean "failed from the get go" you were not able to boot? Did you see an error message?
Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner, but I had to run a bunch of errands in advance of the winter storm that is hitting us today. Anyway attempting to boot MX18.1 errors out with this:

Amd-VI: ioapic not in IVRS Table
The MD5 sum for the download is correct.

I burned a DVD of 18.1 to try a legacy install on my test box but it hung at 9% (Making Directories). I then reinstalled MX18 on the test box and fully updated it. My plan for tonight is to add this line to grub on the test box:

ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 clocksource=hpet iommu=on amd_iommu=on amdgpu.dc=1
and then generate a snapshot which I will use to attempt another install on this laptop.

John
Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R2W5, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega Mobile Graphics, 8 GB ram, 1000 TB hdd

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by j2mcgreg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 am

I'm stuck. Should I add the "ivrs_ioapic..." line directly into the live usb, and if so, where? Or should I wait and add it as a boot parameter to the grub menu? FWIW, the live usb was made this morning from a snapshot of a fully updated MX18.

baldyeti
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by baldyeti » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:34 pm

You can try it with the HD-install. When the system shows the grub boot menu, just hit the "E' key while the entry you want to boot is highlighted (probably the default one anyway). Then navigate to the end of the line that starts with "linux" and get rid of the "quiet splash" at the end (optional but will make potential error messages easier to spot). Now add the parameters you want to try at the end of that same line. You should probably print or write them down beforehand. Then hit F10 and let the system boot. If it works better, we'll need to make these parameters permanent but let's first confirm this helps....

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by BitJam » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:21 pm

j2mcgreg wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 am
I'm stuck. Should I add the "ivrs_ioapic..." line directly into the live usb, and if so, where? Or should I wait and add it as a boot parameter to the grub menu? FWIW, the live usb was made this morning from a snapshot of a fully updated MX18.
A snapshot won't help you with this (nor should it hurt). If the live system is not booting then you need to add the boot parameters in the live bootloader. If you are booting UEFI then use up/down arrow to highlight the the entry you want to use and press "e" to edit it. Edit the entry by adding the extra boot parameters after "quiet". When you are ready, press <F10> to boot. If you are booting legacy there is a "Boot Options" box where you can type in the new entries.

Extra credit:
If you made a live-usb with our live-usb-maker then you will have an option to save theses changes for future boots. In the UEFI boot loader add "menus=s" after the other parameters you added. In the Legacy bootloader select "F8 Save" --> "save". If you can boot live on a different system then it is easy to make a full-featured live-usb. Boot, then plug in a new/different usb-stick and run the live-usb-maker program. It will offer to clone the existing live system onto the new stick.

If the live system boots and you then install, these boot parameters should get transferred to the installed system automatically.

Please let us know how you get on. If this solution works for you and if the problem is not fixed upstream (in newer kernels, for example) then we can add entries in the bootloaders that add all of these boot parameters for you so it is easier for everyone who has these machines.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by j2mcgreg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 am

bitjam wrote:
A snapshot won't help you with this (nor should it hurt). If the live system is not booting then you need to add the boot parameters in the live bootloader. If you are booting UEFI then use up/down arrow to highlight the the entry you want to use and press "e" to edit it. Edit the entry by adding the extra boot parameters after "quiet". When you are ready, press <F10> to boot. If you are booting legacy there is a "Boot Options" box where you can type in the new entries.

Extra credit:
If you made a live-usb with our live-usb-maker then you will have an option to save theses changes for future boots. In the UEFI boot loader add "menus=s" after the other parameters you added. In the Legacy bootloader select "F8 Save" --> "save". If you can boot live on a different system then it is easy to make a full-featured live-usb. Boot, then plug in a new/different usb-stick and run the live-usb-maker program. It will offer to clone the existing live system onto the new stick.

If the live system boots and you then install, these boot parameters should get transferred to the installed system automatically.

Please let us know how you get on. If this solution works for you and if the problem is not fixed upstream (in newer kernels, for example) then we can add entries in the bootloaders that add all of these boot parameters for you so it is easier for everyone who has these machines.

For the purposes of clarification, here's the problem as i see it. MX 18.1 will not boot on this laptop and it does not get anywhere near the grub menu and in fact, it errors out within 30 seconds after the Insyde H2O set up utility has attempted to boot the usb drive, with this error message:

AMD-VI: ioapic not in IVRS Table
. On my test machine, MX18.1 crashes during crashes during the actual install at the 9% mark (Making Directories). The test machine's specs are:

Acer AX 1400
CPU: Athlon II x2 215
4GB ram
500 GB hdd
Nvidia GeForce SE integrated video card which works flawlessly with MX18

With MX 18.1 being a no go, I installed MX 18 (legacy mode) onto the test machine, fully updated it (including the updated snapshot package), and then created a snapshot which was burned onto a usb stick using the Live USB Maker tool. In the next couple of days I will attempt to install MX18 with the new usb stick and then edit the Grub menu in order to add those boot parameters.

My question vis-a-vis MX18.1 is that since the setup utility's purpose is to boot any operating system it is pointed to, shouldn't it be possible to edit the boot function of the Live USB stick to add those boot parameters from the get go? If it is possible, where should I make the addition?

John

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by BitJam » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:51 pm

j2mcgreg wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 am
My question vis-a-vis MX18.1 is that since the setup utility's purpose is to boot any operating system it is pointed to, shouldn't it be possible to edit the boot function of the Live USB stick to add those boot parameters from the get go? If it is possible, where should I make the addition?
The answer to that question depends on how you created the live-usb and whether you are booting legacy or UEFI. Assuming you used our live-usb-maker tool then you can edit the "APPEND" line /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg on the main (ext4) partition to add more parameters. If you are booting via UEFI then edit the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg on the 2nd (fat32) partition. There is currently a grub.cfg on the main partition but it is not used for live-usb-maker live-usbs. Starting with antiX-19 the grub.cfg in the main (ext4) partition will be used.

IMO the instructions I gave you before to make use of the "save" feature are better because 1) there is no possible confusion over which file to edit and 2) when we save the boot parameters we make a separate entry for them so it is easy for you to get back to the plain vanilla booting. But please do what you think is easiest for you. I don't know what your level of expertise is. Personally, I would take the route of editing the .cfg files directly but that is because I'm very familiar with our live system.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Return to “Installation”