No updates available for MX17.1

andreas

No updates available for MX17.1

#1 Post by andreas »

Hi,
Currently I am using MX17.1 on my Think-Pad T420. In the past there have been updates available now and then, which were indicated with that symbol (little box) on the panel.
However, since some while now, there were no updates available. At least nothing was shown with this symbol on the panel. Therefore I have the following questions:
- How can I check if there are any updates available for me to install ?
- If there are any updates, how can I install these ?
- Is there a new, stable release available already, e.g. MX18, and if yes, would you recommend to install that new release ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Andreas

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: No updates available for MX17.1

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

andreas wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:46 am Hi,
Currently I am using MX17.1 on my Think-Pad T420. In the past there have been updates available now and then, which were indicated with that symbol (little box) on the panel.
However, since some while now, there were no updates available. At least nothing was shown with this symbol on the panel. Therefore I have the following questions:
- How can I check if there are any updates available for me to install ?
- If there are any updates, how can I install these ?
- Is there a new, stable release available already, e.g. MX18, and if yes, would you recommend to install that new release ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Andreas
17 and 18 share the same repos, so 17 should upgrade automatically to 18.

I suggest checking for updates manually, and possibly changing repo mirrors (mx-repo-manager). i know a couple of mirrors dropped off the list.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

andreas

#3 Post by andreas »

Hi dolphin-oracle,
thanks for your swift feedback. Can you please tell me:
- What is a repo mirror and how can I change it ? And change to which repo ?
- How can I check for updates manually ? Which menu / functionality should I use ?

Thanks a lot
Andreas

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

our repositories, which old all the downloadable software, are hosted on servers all over the world (each server being called a "mirror").

mx-repo-manager will let you change which set of servers (mirrors) you are using.

you can manually check for updates by right-clicking the updater icon the system tray (on the panel) and selecting "check for updates".

kmathern
Developer

#5 Post by kmathern »

With 17.1 there might also be an expired gpg key to deal with.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

kmathern wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 am With 17.1 there might also be an expired gpg key to deal with.
good point, although I thought we had that dealt with.

if not, then the easiest thing to do is

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install antix-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get update

andreas

#7 Post by andreas »

Hi,
I just manually checked if there are any updates available for me, as you have recommended. And yes, there were approx. 230 updates ready to be installed.
So I started the installation using the icon on the panel and following the instruction on that window which is then shown. I guess it worked very well !
Now I have the following questions:
- How can I see what updates / packages have been updated and when ? Is there a history available ?
- How can I see the currently installed version of a specific software / package ?
- If anything would have gone wrong during the update process, would there be a warning message displayed ?

Thanks a lot,
Andreas

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

andreas wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:34 am - How can I see what updates / packages have been updated and when ? Is there a history available ?
Right-click on the Update Manager icon and click History.
- How can I see the currently installed version of a specific software / package ?
Open MX Package Installer, click on the appropriate repository's tab, and type the app name in the search field. Greyed-out apps are the installed ones, and the specific version numbers are displayed. Or you can do the same thing in Synaptic.
- If anything would have gone wrong during the update process, would there be a warning message displayed ?
I can't answer this as I've never had anything go wrong with my updates so far. :happy: It does warn me if I already have MXPI or Synaptic open, or an apt process running in a terminal. Those are the only things I've seen.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#9 Post by chrispop99 »

By right-clicking the Updater icon you can select 'History', which will give you the information you are asking for. (The User Manual would have told you that.)

If the update might 'break' your install because of conflicting packages, you would usually get a warning that would not let you proceed. If you never add software from sources other than the official repositories, and never add unofficial repositories, it's extremely unlikely that things will ever go wrong.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

andreas

#10 Post by andreas »

Thank you all for your support !

Return to “Older Versions”