Language problem on installation - SOLVED

Steve_Wakey

Language problem on installation - SOLVED

#1 Post by Steve_Wakey »

I recently found MX-14 on a DVD that came with `Linux Format` magazine - about 2 years ago I think. I started it from the DVD, explored the system and liked it well enough that I decided to install it on my very old laptop.

Installation went smoothly and, when complete, I rebooted the computer. I was surprised to get a login screen in RUSSIAN (or related language using the cyrillic alphabet). After entering my password I got the desktop, where I found the menus were in a mixture of English and Russian (see picture). Where the menu item pointing to a program appears in English, the menus etc. inside the program itself are almost all in English. Otherwise, everything is in Russian.

Wondering whether I made a mistake in setting up the system, I went back and repeated the installation. This time I checked the configuration options more carefully. The result was exactly the same, with some English but more Russian, although the flag icon in the notification area seems to show that English is installed and selected as the system language.

Can anyone explain why this happens and how to fix it ? I could go and learn Russian, but I don`t have time just now :-)
Last edited by Steve_Wakey on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: Language problem on installation

#2 Post by anticapitalista »

uk is Ukrainian. For UK/Britain, choose gb
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

MX 14 was the first release, anyway, and had some appearance issues. If you like that, you should love the latest, 16.1, and we are working on 17.

Steve_Wakey

#4 Post by Steve_Wakey »

So simple - it needed someone more intelligent than me to spot it. Working just fine now. Thank you.
:happy:

Return to “Older Versions”