"stable" Chrome may segfault i386 Debian stable - e.g. MX14

namida12

Re: "stable" Chrome may segfault i386 Debian stable - e.g. M

#21 Post by namida12 »

Adrian wrote:I guess I had a case of bad timing. About an hour or two before the original post in this thread, I ran "apt-get clean" to free up some space, so I had to do a search to find the last version that worked.
Adrian,

Completely remove Google-Chrome via Synaptics, then install the downloaded version you provided with GDebi package installer? Or is there an easier method now I have your package in downloads?

JR

Adrian
Developer

#22 Post by Adrian »

You can simply run as root (in the Downloads folder, otherwise you need to use the whole path):

Code: Select all

dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_37.0.2062.120-1_i386.deb

namida12

#23 Post by namida12 »

Adrian wrote:You can simply run as root (in the Downloads folder, otherwise you need to use the whole path):

Code: Select all

dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_37.0.2062.120-1_i386.deb
Adrian,

Thank You Kind Sir!

I opened the download folder> clicked on file>opened Terminal> typed su> typed Root password> and cut and pasted your suggested command above and I now have a working Google Chrome again...

JR

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

Has anyone figured out what the issue was?

I've been toying with the idea of backporting libc6 2.17 fromm snapshots for the Experimental section of the M12 CR, just to see how it works and see if it fixes those annoying Google apps, among others.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#25 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote:Has anyone figured out what the issue was?

I've been toying with the idea of backporting libc6 2.17 fromm snapshots for the Experimental section of the M12 CR, just to see how it works and see if it fixes those annoying Google apps, among others.
If I'm reading the bug report discussion correctly, there is a memory stack that is misaligned. I don't know what that means exactly, but it looks like they already have the bug fix and are merging it with the r39 tree. It also looks like they are working to merge it with the r38 (the current) tree as well.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kmathern
Developer

#26 Post by kmathern »

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Stevo wrote:Has anyone figured out what the issue was?

If I'm reading the bug report discussion correctly, there is a memory stack that is misaligned. I don't know what that means exactly, but it looks like they already have the bug fix and are merging it with the r39 tree. It also looks like they are working to merge it with the r38 (the current) tree as well.
That, and #12 in the bugreport (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... 418554#c12) says that 38.xxxx was the first Chrome build using Clang.

It is kind of surprising that the problem wasn't caught/reported earlier by someone using google-chrome-unstable 38.xxxx or google-chrome-beta 38.xxxx .

Stevo
Developer

#27 Post by Stevo »

It appears it was reported, here's post 5 from that thread you linked to, on October 3:
#5 snas...@gmail.com

The same issue for google-chrome-beta and unstable at any i386 machine, with Debian Wheezy. No Chrome window opens. "google-chrome-beta --version" command will crash too !
Version 38 has still beta at that time. They need some help on quality control, apparently. Them and wheezy-backports.

Adrian
Developer

#28 Post by Adrian »

kmathern wrote:It is kind of surprising that the problem wasn't caught/reported earlier by someone using google-chrome-unstable 38.xxxx or google-chrome-beta 38.xxxx .
Never thought about this, this is weird, probably there are not many people a Beta/Unstable browser on Debian Stable?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#29 Post by dolphin_oracle »

form the chrome/chromium folks:
There's no need for further confirmations. The fix (38.0.2125.103 or newer) will likely go out early next week. Hang in there.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#30 Post by dolphin_oracle »

dolphin_oracle wrote:form the chrome/chromium folks:
There's no need for further confirmations. The fix (38.0.2125.103 or newer) will likely go out early next week. Hang in there.
38.0.2125.104 has been released. Supposedly the issues with the segfault are fixed.
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... 418554#c58

Return to “Older Versions”