Changing what happens when you press the power button.

bmike1

Re: just changed shutdown process

#11 Post by bmike1 »

dolphin_oracle wrote:the setting for the power button is in the preferences for the xfce4-power-manager icon in the system tray. My MX install seems to follow the choices there. The default is to "ASK" which gives the logout menu. You can set it to "ask, shutdown, suspend, or nothing".
I found it in the settings editor under the settings icon. The settings are an integer value. Any idea what the correct setting is? I decided to change it until I found the correct value. These are my findings.
It is set to 3 which must be 'ask'
0 does nothing
1 fades to black then powers off immediately
2 fades to black then (I guess) hibernates. I pressed the power button again and a login screen appeared and after entering the password the desktop appeared in the same state as was begun in.
3 asks what I want to do.
4 gracefully shuts it down.
5 gracefully shuts it down.
6 does nothing
I didn't check anything else.
ANy ideas on the difference between 4 and 5? What about 0?

gmagar

Re: Changing what happens when you press the power button.

#12 Post by gmagar »

The Power Button's behavior is also configurable in the BIOS. Whether the OSs Power Manager overrides the computer's BIOS setting is unkown to me. However, I know it doesn't change it. I have multiple computers, and each seems to decide on it's own whether it will obey the Power Manager or the BIOS or neither and when. One thing I've never seen, is the Logout Dialog Box appear at the Power Button's pushing. But all of my PMs and BIOSs on all my boxes are set for immediate soft off. And, as alluded, sometimes I still have to hold the button down for >4 sec. As one of my wise friends said "Anything made by man..."
Linuxers Live By A CODE!

Return to “Older Versions”