Forcepae for future releases?

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Forcepae for future releases?

#1 Post by chrispop99 »

I've just been testing Linux Mint 17 Xfce 32 RC. You can append 'forcepae' to the boot arguments to allow the non-pae disk to boot on older machines where pae support is not available. I just tried it on an IBM Thinkpad T23, with a P3 CPU, and it worked fine.

Is this something that could be done in future versions of MX-xx, or would it be an issue with the CD space constraints?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

BitJam
Developer

Re: Forcepae for future releases?

#2 Post by BitJam »

It is a kernel patch. As long as we are rolling our own kernels (and there aren't any conflicts) then we should be able to include this feature without taking up any extra space. If we are using a kernel made elsewhere then we are reliant on them to include the patch.

joany

#3 Post by joany »

chrispop99 wrote:I've just been testing Linux Mint 17 Xfce 32 RC. You can append 'forcepae' to the boot arguments to allow the non-pae disk to boot on older machines where pae support is not available. I just tried it on an IBM Thinkpad T23, with a P3 CPU, and it worked fine.
Doesn't the non-pae MX-14 disk already boot on a machine where pae support is not available, even without the 'forcepae' option? :confused:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Yes, that sounds backwards--it's probably having the pae disk boot on a non-pae machine.

uncle mark

#5 Post by uncle mark »

Stevo wrote:Yes, that sounds backwards--it's probably having the pae disk boot on a non-pae machine.
Yes, that's what he meant. Mint has one ISO. If it detects a proc that doesn't support pae OOTB, it tells you to use the 'forcepae' cheat to boot the live disk. I ran into that myself recently when I was just playing around with an old lappy and the new Mint Mate.

Doing this would mean there wouldn't have to be two ISOs offered and maintained.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

Doing this would mean there wouldn't have to be two ISOs offered and maintained.
That would certainly be worth testing.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

anticapitalista
Developer

#7 Post by anticapitalista »

The Debian backports kernel used in MX-14 doesn't have that forcepae patch it seems.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

From reading the patch headers here: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=139419246804442

it seems that the patch actually turn PAE back on for Pentium M chipsets on which Intel disabled the feature.

From the time frame, it seems it's for the 3.14 kernel.

It also appears it appears in the Ubuntu kernel for their 14.04 release. That's using the 3.13 kernel.

fu-sen

#9 Post by fu-sen »

There is already reply, but I repeat it, too.

"forcepae" is boot option of Ubuntu (base) only.
MX-14 is Debian base, and there cannot be the thing that it is added soon.
There is "non-PAE version" in MX-14. It is not in this way necessary to mind "forcepae".
🎈 BALLOON | FU-SEN from Japan 🗾 - https://balloon.gdn/ - https://github.com/fu-sen

lucky9

#10 Post by lucky9 »

Keep it Simple. Whichever way is less work for the devs.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Older Versions”