printer (hp photosmart c7250) not working

bmike1

Re: printer (hp photosmart c7250) not working

#11 Post by bmike1 »

well.... I let it sit for over seven hours but nothing happened. where can I get a ppd file for this printer? the printer is a hp photosmart c7250

bmike1

#12 Post by bmike1 »

after I installed the meta stuff it installed the hp device manager. I then clicked on the hammer and that started the self diagnoses and healing utility. that updated some packages and gave some errors and finished with
error: Printer off or failed to communicate
well, the printer is not off and it shows the printer just fine in the list of printers.
Before I found the hp device manager the HPLIP Device Status told there was a device communication error with the code 5012.
I was going to say something else bu in my fatigue forgot what that was. goodnight.
I remember now! I couldn't figure out the localhost:631 thing.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#13 Post by Jerry3904 »

where can I get a ppd file for this printer?
If the printer were communicating, I'm pretty sure it would be recognized by hplip, which is installed by default and has the needed software and firmware.

I recommend first that you check all your connections, unplugging and replugging (assuming it is not wireless). If the error says it is not communicating, chances are pretty good that it is not communicating.

Second, that you use the Printer-(CUPS) menu entry, clicking on "Adding Printers and Classes" at the top of the middle column, then "Add Printer."
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Utopia
Administrator

#14 Post by Utopia »

device communication error with the code 5012
Did you google that error? You will find some solutions to try, like this one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2001912
Henry

lucky9

#15 Post by lucky9 »

bmike1 wrote: I remember now! I couldn't figure out the localhost:631 thing.
I'll give you a hint: Browser->Address Bar->enter localhost:631 ->hit the Enter key.

Also our wiki will inform sometimes: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... int_Server
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

bmike1

#16 Post by bmike1 »

well, I tried the hp-setup script as a normal user and it sat for about 20 minutes with the text:

-------------------
| FAX QUEUE SETUP |
-------------------

and then I canceled it and reran it as sudo.

then I looked at the output and saw that there was already a printer, remembered being told I might have to remove a printer, and so ran

sudo hp-setup -r (thank goodness I looked at the man page)

and about 4 printers were listed. So I deleted them all, reran

sudo hp-setup -i <printer ip>

and this time when it asked about entering a name for the FAX I quit the aplication. Then a test page print. Yippee!

bmike1

#17 Post by bmike1 »

Why do you think it stopped working. I mean I installed mx14 on my brother's computer and it print to the network printer without doing a thing. Then I upgraded my computer to Mint 17 and it stopped printing

anticapitalista
Developer

#18 Post by anticapitalista »

bmike1 wrote:Why do you think it stopped working. I mean I installed mx14 on my brother's computer and it print to the network printer without doing a thing. Then I upgraded my computer to Mint 17 and it stopped printing
Well I guess Mint 17 did something.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

bmike1

#19 Post by bmike1 »

I guess so. But it is a stand alone printer. Mx shouldn't even see mint17.

lucky9

#20 Post by lucky9 »

Correct. Mint will only be seen if you mount the partition. And then it will show up in the file system. There is no interoperability between the two operating systems.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Older Versions”