end of life

bmike1

end of life

#1 Post by bmike1 »

when do you think mX14 will die or not be upraded to mX15/16/etc....?
I ask because I am on an XP board and they are wondering what they should do now that XP will no longer be patched so I am sharing about Linux and thought I would share about a small distro that fits on a CD.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: end of life

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Since it is based on Wheezy, it will be officially supported for about year after Jessie becomes Stable (if I understand correctly). Our packagers are adept at backporting, though, so the practical life could be much longer.

Xfce 4.10 is well supported too, and 4.12 is in development (though no release date is set AFAIK).

The Dev Team has not even broached the topic, but I am certainly interested in thinking about developing an MX-15 over the winter.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

uncle mark

#3 Post by uncle mark »

bmike1 wrote:when do you think mX14 will die or not be upraded to mX15/16/etc....?
I ask because I am on an XP board and they are wondering what they should do now that XP will no longer be patched so I am sharing about Linux and thought I would share about a small distro that fits on a CD.
MX will be around a good long while. Have faith in that. It may evolve and newer versions will be released, but that won't mean MX-14 will be obsoleted.

Now if these people expect 13 years like XP... :moonshine:
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

kmathern
Developer

#4 Post by kmathern »

bmike1 wrote:when do you think mX14 will die or not be upraded to mX15/16/etc....?
If Wheezy gets LTS support like they're doing for Squeeze, it'll probably be supported for another 4 years or so by Debian, and possibly longer than that by the folks here.

How much longer do you think your XP hardware will last? It might die before MX14.

joany

#5 Post by joany »

Your XP board is for people who hang on to an OS for a very long time -- basically the life of their machines. There is no Linux distro that I'm aware of that will approach the longevity of Windows.

They can run a Linux OS forever, but they'll have trouble installing software on it beyond the support cycle. An LTS version might be supported for 2-3 years, but that's about as good as it gets.

I would go ahead and recommend MX-14 to your group. They won't be disappointed.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Pierre

#6 Post by Pierre »

"I would go ahead and recommend MX-14 to your group. They won't be disappointed."

+1

- don't forget to point them to this forum, as a N00B :cool:

we'll sort 'em out. :hug:

lucky9

#7 Post by lucky9 »

joany wrote:I would go ahead and recommend MX-14 to your group. They won't be disappointed.
If Wheezy gets LTS support like they're doing for Squeeze, it'll probably be supported for another 4 years or so by Debian, and possibly longer than that by the folks here.

How much longer do you think your XP hardware will last? It might die before MX14.
I would concur with both statements. MX14 does what it needs to do OOTB. Is based on current software (for debian). 3 or 4 years support is almost forever in the computer world. You can very easily 'dress' the system to please your needs/wants. It's imminently solid and stable. What else is there?
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

LnoyBoy

#8 Post by LnoyBoy »

For me, the best selling point for Linux was the live CD.

That you can try it out without messing with your installed operating system.

lucky9

#9 Post by lucky9 »

LnoyBoy wrote:For me, the best selling point for Linux was the live CD.

I've become so used to the way things are now, that I completely forgot about the 'LiveCD/DVD'. 10 years ago it was magic. It was probably one of the main reasons that I looked at Linux. (I had a second HDD in the system so it was much easier to decide to install.)
But those first looks at Linux was always via a LiveDisk. Which was a very handy tool even if you didn't have an installed Linux system.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark

#10 Post by uncle mark »

lucky9 wrote:
LnoyBoy wrote:For me, the best selling point for Linux was the live CD.

I've become so used to the way things are now, that I completely forgot about the 'LiveCD/DVD'. 10 years ago it was magic. It was probably one of the main reasons that I looked at Linux. (I had a second HDD in the system so it was much easier to decide to install.)
But those first looks at Linux was always via a LiveDisk. Which was a very handy tool even if you didn't have an installed Linux system.
Knoppix did the Live CD thing first, I think. Then I believe Warren had the first install-from-live-disk installer.

I remember the early Ubuntu versions offered two disks -- one was a live demo disk, and the other was an install disk that used the old Debian text installer.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Return to “Older Versions”