Status

Adrian
Developer

Re: Status

#71 Post by Adrian »

Jerry3904 wrote:So what does "making it look like a modern distro" mean? Change the theme?
I actually agree, Raleigh is a bit strange choice, if I'm not wrong it's a modification of Redmond which as we well know is the clone of Windows 98 theme. We are in 2014, 16 years is a long time in tech. Of course one can change that, but that's not the point.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#72 Post by Jerry3904 »

Well then somebody should make a suggestion of a "modern" theme that goes with the wallpaper and is readable (a lot of the really dark ones are not IMHO) and the Dev Team can take a look.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

#73 Post by Adrian »

Jerry3904 wrote:Well then somebody should make a suggestion of a "modern" theme that goes with the wallpaper and is readable (a lot of the really dark ones are not IMHO) and the Dev Team can take a look.
Can't say that I'm very happy with the Xfce theme choices, I personally use Xfce-smooth which is not dark and is pretty neutral.

The point was that if you use a 1998 looking theme don't be surprised if people say it looks old.

lucky9

#74 Post by lucky9 »

I have been using the default Theme. I tried several of the included Themes. I haven't decided what I like. I'm running default on my Netbook with some hints given on the forum here. I don't even remember which. I need more time on my Desktop installation. Though a VM is okay, I prefer a real installation. I just don't reboot much.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

KBD

#75 Post by KBD »

I generally use Murrine themes on Xfce to give it a bit of color.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#76 Post by Jerry3904 »

I will open a thread on this, we don't want to have this discussion at the end of a different topic.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

uncle mark

#77 Post by uncle mark »

Jerry3904 wrote:So what does "making it look like a modern distro" mean? Change the theme?
Probably. Who knows. The point being this guy was able to look beyond the cosmetics and appreciate what the system offered, unlike the Demidoyadayada guy.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

lucky9

#78 Post by lucky9 »

Stated goals included fitting on a CD. It's impressive as it stands.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Gordon Cooper

#79 Post by Gordon Cooper »

NGIB wrote: My post was commenting on what Gordon Cooper said: MX-14 was for you and there was no plan or intention to make it a general release so marketing and promotion was not a factor at all.

When I was supposed to have said that? I don't see it amongst my posts. I did comment that I might never have looked at
MX-14 - except for previous experience with M11 - although I was influenced by a thumbs up report that Mike Pav. circulated
to the local Linux User Group.

I have been promoting MX where possible and have a few converts. Have reverted to Kubuntu for some work, particularly
with Free Pascal programming. I hope that MX continues and look forward to future versions - Old Father Time permitting.

The Boy Wonder

#80 Post by The Boy Wonder »

It was the name and reputation of MEPIS that brought me to MX-14 in the first place. From what I had gathered, MEPIS had done the same thing Ubuntu had - making Debian "friendlier" - but without the drama, the rush to release, and the barrage of updates that break things, and built on Debian Stable to boot! I had been wishing for an "Xfce version of MEPIS" for three years! But it was the association with Mepis that brought me here, because Mepis has enjoyed a great reputation for years.

If Mepis is going away, that's sad, but not unexpected apparently by those of you who have been in the community a long time. But what a debt of thanks we owe to Warren, and to all who have contributed, past and present, to make the name Mepis stand for stability, reliability, imagination, and beauty.

I'm sure that with this fine community, Mepis will live in some form or another for many more years to come. It has a great legacy and I'm proud to have been a tiny little part of it, even if only as an end user, and even if only for a little while.

Return to “Older Versions”