acpi=off should be the default setting

bmike1

acpi=off should be the default setting

#1 Post by bmike1 »

I feel that acpi needs to be off by default if mX14 is designed for older computers. Just an idea. I put mX14 on a second computer that required acpi=off in the boot sequence and it hung at the populating /dev (or something like that). If it hadn't of worked on another computer that didn't require acpi=off I would have figured that it just didn't work on that computer.

richb
Administrator

Re: acpi=off should be the default setting

#2 Post by richb »

Totally disagree. MX-14 is not only for older computers. ACPI handles power management and if off kills that functionality on mid age to newer computers. It would cause more issues than it solves for the few that have bios with improperly configured power management.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

BitJam
Developer

#3 Post by BitJam »

Most older computers don't need acpi=off. But if someone can't boot on an older computer then acpi=off is one of the the first things I suggest. You can disable acpi via the "F4 Options" menu in the boot loader. It is called "no acpi".

I think we could do a better job of promoting acpi=off for older computers that don't boot but from what I've seen, based on help requests here (and on the antiX forums), the percentage of people who need it is very small. As richb said, disabling acpi turns off a lot of functionality that people have come to expect.

bmike1

#4 Post by bmike1 »

As richb said, disabling acpi turns off a lot of functionality that people have come to expect.
Really? What is the computer on which I had to disable it missing out of?
Last edited by bmike1 on Mon May 26, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncle mark

#5 Post by uncle mark »

bmike1 wrote:I feel that acpi needs to be off by default if mX14 is designed for older computers.
It's not:

"MX-14 is a special version of antiX developed in full collaboration with the Mepis Community, using the best tools and talents from each distro. It is a midweight OS designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint."
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

bmike1 wrote:
As richb said, disabling acpi turns off a lot of functionality that people have come to expect.
Really? What is the computer on which I had to disable it missing out of?
Most likely power management, performance management, CPU voltage/frequency scaling. That might be not that important for desktops, but is very important for laptops, without ACPI you'd probably drain you battery double as fast if not faster.

Return to “Older Versions”