the go-to distro

Richard

Re: the go-to distro

#21 Post by Richard »

My go-to distro has to be efficient, simple, stable,
fast, based on Debian stable, with backports, Xfce4.1x,
and have a supportive community. Sounds like MX-14.

I've rolled and it's mostly stable, educational and fun.

Since 1998, it's been muLinux, Redhat, SuSE,
Mandrake, Mepis, Kanotix, sidux, Debian testing,
Ubuntu, Linuxmint, Arch, openSuse, Peppermint,
SalineOS, Manjaro, and now MX-14.
Last edited by Richard on Sun May 18, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

lucky9

#22 Post by lucky9 »

I try to 'look at' several distros. I'm unabashably KDE-centric. But I have current ISO's for KNOPPIX, Sabayon, PC-BSD/FreeBSD, netrunner, LinuxMint, FreeSBIE, KWheezy, SolydK-BE. Probably one or two that I'm forgetting. But I use SimplyMEPIS 11.0.xx for serious work in my Desktop PC. MX14 with additions has earned a spot on my Netbook as it's main distro. I like not having to do anything (mostly) to keep a system running.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

bmike1

#23 Post by bmike1 »

Just last night I was talking to my supervisor at work (non-techy industry) about computers. He said that he has one but gloomily he said that it has a virus. I told him that I could give him an operating system that is impervious to viruses.. He said he is interested. Now I am debating between Mint and mX-14. I think I'll go with mX but think he'll like the pretty screen of Mint more. The computer is a couple of years old.

uncle mark

#24 Post by uncle mark »

bmike1 wrote:Just last night I was talking to my supervisor at work (non-techy industry) about computers. He said that he has one but gloomily he said that it has a virus. I told him that I could give him an operating system that is impervious to viruses.. He said he is interested. Now I am debating between Mint and mX-14. I think I'll go with mX but think he'll like the pretty screen of Mint more. I need to ask him how old his computer is!
Not trying to talk you out of loading him up with Linux, but doesn't he know it can be fixed?

I'm continually amazed by the conditions of the infected machines brought to me. The few smart ones bring it to me immediately, as soon as it starts acting hinky. Those are nearly always quick and easy and cheap to fix, sometimes literally while they wait. But most of them just put up with it, knowing full well they're infected, until the machine finally grinds to a halt. Then they bring it to me.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

richb
Administrator

#25 Post by richb »

Impervious may be a bit of overkill, resistant is probably more accurate.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

bmike1

#26 Post by bmike1 »

uncle mark wrote: Not trying to talk you out of loading him up with Linux, but doesn't he know it can be fixed?
Can you teach me how to fix it for him? Is there like an open source fix-it program?

Topher

#27 Post by Topher »

My go to is still M11, but am trying to learn MX for a couple of reasons. First I am helping those who are worried about XP and don't want to buy a new computer and usually need a midweight OS. Second I am thinking about the next few years and if Warren does nothing more with Mepis, then what do I want to do. I could go with a lot distributions, but I like this forum and the help and people in it so I think I'll stay right here until ya'll kick me out. :p

uncle mark

#28 Post by uncle mark »

bmike1 wrote:
uncle mark wrote: Not trying to talk you out of loading him up with Linux, but doesn't he know it can be fixed?
Can you teach me how to fix it for him? Is there like an open source fix-it program?
No. Repairing infected Windows systems is an involved process. No quick fixes (unless you're lucky and nail your diag).
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

richb
Administrator

#29 Post by richb »

I must admit I am still drawn to KDE4 and Kubuntu 14.04 because of something most people here do not give a tinkers dam for, desktop effects. You know, the glitz, the wow factor, and buried within it all, some useful features.

I managed to install Compiz in MX-14 and the glitz is back, (and those buried useful features). It is surprising to me that Compz which has not been supported for some time works so well with MX-14.

As delivered MX-14 is very, very good. And what is even better, since it is Debian based, can be "tricked out" with screenlets, Gkrellm, Compiz and who knows what else.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

The Boy Wonder

#30 Post by The Boy Wonder »

richb wrote: I managed to install Compiz in MX-14 and the glitz is back, (and those buried useful features). It is surprising to me that Compz which has not been supported for some time works so well with MX-14.

As delivered MX-14 is very, very good. And what is even better, since it is Debian based, can be "tricked out" with screenlets, Gkrellm, Compiz and who knows what else.
Xwm has it's own built-in compositor I think. On my old box I only use it to make my panel background transparent though, no bling and glitz for me, thank you. I did play with screenlets in my old Xubuntu system, but I found myself minimizing applications just to check the weather or see what time it was. Now on the panel I can see both at a glance and save a little precious RAM.

I can't express how grateful I am to have found a simple, well-supported Xfce OS built on Debian Stable! Until now Xubuntu LTS has always been my "fallback" distro, but now that MX is around, I have a new "home" in "a better neighborhood."

Return to “Older Versions”