MX-14 Review

joany

Re: MX-14 Review

#31 Post by joany »

The search feature is also standard with the Plasma/Kickoff application launcher in MEPIS, but only with the default menu style. Since MEPIS ships with the classic menu style, and many here prefer that style and stick with it, they may not have noticed the search feature exists.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

#32 Post by richb »

joany wrote:The search feature is also standard with the Plasma/Kickoff application launcher in MEPIS, but only with the default menu style. Since MEPIS ships with the classic menu style, and many here prefer that style and stick with it, they may not have noticed the search feature exists.
I do not remember, does it work the same way? That is, if you hit the first letter and then the second it recognizes both. As opposed to some search fields that only use the first letter. So, if you are looking for meta installer in MX you get first all the apps starting with m than all starting wit me. The other if you type m you get all apps starting with m, then if you type e you get all starting with e. As I say I do not recall how it works in KDE.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

joany

#33 Post by joany »

richb wrote: I do not remember, does it work the same way? That is, if you hit the first letter and then the second it recognizes both. As opposed to some search fields that only use the first letter. So, if you are looking for meta installer in MX you get first all the apps starting with m than all starting wit me. The other if you type m you get all apps starting with m, then if you type e you get all starting with e. As I say I do not recall how it works in KDE.
No, it works the same as Whisker. At least in KDE 4.8.4 it does.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

uncle mark

#34 Post by uncle mark »

joany wrote:The search feature is also standard with the Plasma/Kickoff application launcher in MEPIS, but only with the default menu style. Since MEPIS ships with the classic menu style, and many here prefer that style and stick with it, they may not have noticed the search feature exists.
I wouldn't have known that, as the very first thing I do on a KDE install is switch to Classic Menu. ;)

In my case, I have the Recently Used listing enabled in Kmenu and set to show the last 10, so that covers me about 95% of the time.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

lucky9

#35 Post by lucky9 »

I'm a child of the mouse. Search requires me to use the keyboard for something besides writing text or entering Command Line entries. I assume I'll get used to the menu system. I'm certainly not going to change my work flow and habits to use search for a program available in the menu.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#36 Post by richb »

lucky9 wrote:I'm a child of the mouse. Search requires me to use the keyboard for something besides writing text or entering Command Line entries. I assume I'll get used to the menu system. I'm certainly not going to change my work flow and habits to use search for a program available in the menu.
Me too but when I don't know whether what I want is in Settings, System or Accessories, 10 mouse clicks before I find it is unacceptable. With the search field it is one click, one keystroke or two and I have it. To me that was worth changing my habits.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Adrian
Developer

#37 Post by Adrian »

richb wrote:
lucky9 wrote:I'm a child of the mouse. Search requires me to use the keyboard for something besides writing text or entering Command Line entries. I assume I'll get used to the menu system. I'm certainly not going to change my work flow and habits to use search for a program available in the menu.
Me too but when I don't know whether what I want is in Settings, System or Accessories, 10 mouse clicks before I find it is unacceptable. With the search field it is one click, one keystroke or two and I have it. To me that was worth changing my habits.
I don't know, my menu changes without clicking... I need only one click to open Whisker then hover with the mouse on the category and then at most use the scroll wheel and then finally click to open the app. So, it's 2 mouse clicks, I don't know how you can reduce that to less...

richb
Administrator

#38 Post by richb »

Adrian wrote:
richb wrote:
I don't know, my menu changes without clicking... I need only one click to open Whisker then hover with the mouse on the category and then at most use the scroll wheel and then finally click to open the app. So, it's 2 mouse clicks, I don't know how you can reduce that to less...
Ok, so it is mouse moving back and forth. Sometimes several times when I miss it in the menu. I still maintain the search field is more efficient. But not worth "arguing" about.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Gaer Boy

#39 Post by Gaer Boy »

dolphin_oracle wrote:I like the win7 setup of hitting the "windows" key to get the menu (something icewm does in antix by default as well) so I set up my whisker menu to pop up when I hit the "windows" keys, goes right to the search bar, no mouse, no fuss.
I did this quite early and also found it a good option, particularly combined with the search box. I removed the setup later - it screwed up my way of working in VBox XP, where the whisker menu isn't very useful.

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

Stevo
Developer

#40 Post by Stevo »

I'm curious as to how MX 14 ends up using less RAM then every other XFCE desktop that reviewer tested. We didn't use any magic pixie dust when compiling the desktop. I can see we have a newer kernel than those other distros, maybe that's it, but it's amazing how some of them use 2.5 times as much to just run the desktop. I don't believe MX is running any fewer services at startup than the others, and our compiler supposedly doesn't have the optimization features that gcc 4.8 advertises.

Return to “Older Versions”