Network manager doesn't work correctly after testing ceni

richb
Administrator

Re: Network manager doesn't work correctly after testing cen

#21 Post by richb »

muskt wrote:"Spent a lot of time banging and reinstalls working the network to work right. As it sits right now the fastest way to get laptop wireless up is:

Have the wired cable in, before powering up. Once the desktop is ready, you are on the network manager wired.
Open centi, at the first editor's window, max the window open and do the setup, finish close the editor.

At this point, do a restart and when back up the wireless is on and locked into centi. To get the icon, purge
network manager, install wicd, do a restart.

There you have an icon in the taskbar and up on centi wireless."

This MAY be a workaround; however, isn't that a lot like going to a rental car agency to get a car and as you pull out of the parking lot you hear the salesman shouting that you need to change the oil, adjust the valves, and get a new spare tire?
AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!

Jerry in Anchorage
What wireless card is in your laptop? Easiest way on mine is to scan for my network with network manager, set encryption and password, and it connects. ath9k driver.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

muskt

#22 Post by muskt »

Thanks Rich.

I have spent probably 5 hours attempting to get the wireless going on the laptop. Came close to tossing it out the window a few times.

Mine has a soft switch on the keyboard which controls both WiFi & bluetooth. The bluetooth icon is lighted and after some fussing it connected to my MS bluetooth mouse. The wireless icon has never come on one time. I have an external USB wireless adapter which I can occasionally get to work--but not with any repeatability. This USB works with M8.5, M11, & M12B, and with Win7.

The on-board adapter is working right now under Win 7--therefore I feel confident I do not have a hardware problem.

With network manager, it (the on-board) is not recognized, and therefore cannot scan. Ceni does not see it (the on-board) either. Ceni does occasionally see the USB.

The adapter is listed as a Dell 1510, and the driver is by Broadcom. No information about which model is readily available.

I have not had too much difficulty in the past with Mepis getting connected on this machine, and am pretty surprised with the problems experienced with MX14.

I do not enjoy being so negative, and my frustrations are boiling through.
I apologize to the developers.
I very much appreciate their efforts to provide us users with these programs.

Jerry in Anchorage

timkb4cq
Developer

#23 Post by timkb4cq »

I did a little research and it looks like you need the broadcom-sta driver (aka the wl module)
go to http://teharris.net/mepiscr/xfce/pool/m ... adcom-sta/
and download the broadcom-sta-dkms _6.30.223.141-1_all.deb file

Boot into MX-14 and click on that file to install the driver. Reboot and the wireless should be recognized.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

richb
Administrator

#24 Post by richb »

muskt, no need to feel bad. Broadcom can be a bear at times.Does not seem to be well supported in the Linux kernels. I have a USB adapter for my old desktop i cannot get working. It needs Broadcom firmware and I have not tried to install it. Instead I have an Edimax $15 USB wifi adapter on order that has been recommended for Linux.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

muskt

#25 Post by muskt »

Thanks for the info......
I'm too stupid to be able to download the file.
I'm in MX14 now (wired), & when I click the link, I see several files.
If I click the file you listed (Tim) it opens the file (in some computer language).
If I right click it there is no "download" command (I'm using FireFox).
What do I do now?

Jerry

timkb4cq
Developer

#26 Post by timkb4cq »

right-click -> Save link as
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

muskt

#27 Post by muskt »

WHOOPEEEE!!!!!!!!

One more time--Thank you all.

I would never have considered "Save link as" . To me that would seem to be similar, if not the same as, a bookmark.

Anyway, it worked. First time.

Now, for another comment.

I really do not consider myself to be stupid. I am; however, very un-knowledgeable about Linux. Even though I have been messing with Mepis since version 3.xxx, I still possess very little knowledge.

This stuff is NOT intuitive to a newcomer. When posting a response, it would be VERY helpful for the poster to explain what is meant in the instructions, or at least include the steps. Remember that there many newbies (like me) reading the forum and trying to learn. Granted, I probably should have known how to download a file. But I didn't. (It ain't like Windows--which is where most newcomers are coming from.)

Up above a few posts, one commenter mentioned WiCd. I have used that in the past. I looked in the repos (synaptic) and discovered 5-6 WiCd listings. None of them mentioned XFCE. I left that page-didn't know how to proceed.

Anyway, thanks again.

Jerry in Anchorage

uncle mark

#28 Post by uncle mark »

muskt wrote:Up above a few posts, one commenter mentioned WiCd. I have used that in the past. I looked in the repos (synaptic) and discovered 5-6 WiCd listings. None of them mentioned XFCE. I left that page-didn't know how to proceed.
There isn't a different wicd for xfce or kde or gnome or whatever, it's just wicd. You install it just like any other program you would install with Synaptic.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

muskt

#29 Post by muskt »

OK.

There are 6 WiCd entries listed.
The first one appears to be the one; however, how do I know?

Jerry

Edit: what about the one listed as WiCd-kde--looks like a kde version to me

2nd edit: I'm not trying to be difficult--I really am struggling to understand.

timkb4cq
Developer

#30 Post by timkb4cq »

I'm glad it worked. I need that driver for my Lenovo which is why it's in the default repos.
I didn't realize you had a wired connection or I would have had you install that file with Synaptic. Since you were posting from Windows I assumed you would download the file in Windows.

Return to “Older Versions”