Network manager doesn't work correctly after testing ceni

Stevo
Developer

Re: Network manager doesn't work correctly after testing cen

#11 Post by Stevo »

Ceni-xterm was originally meant to fix the problem some had with the error message about the terminal being too small, by using a fixed-size xterm window...so it should be on the iso, at least for testing.

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb »

Stevo wrote:Ceni-xterm was originally meant to fix the problem some had with the error message about the terminal being too small, by using a fixed-size xterm window...so it should be on the iso, at least for testing.
Understand. Simple fix seems to be manually resizing the window. I ran into that and it was pretty obvious and easy to do. But again you know what your doing.

Perhaps on some screens there is not enough real estate to do so.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

zeeone

#13 Post by zeeone »

Jerry3904 wrote:I seem to have run into a serious problem I would like to have confirmed. While testing on this screen size, I of course also tested ceni itself, clicking on the line that comes up that says, roughly: "use ceni and ignore network manager."
(I noted that there is no wifi connection icon when using ceni, something I will have to put in documentation.)

When I had finished with all this ceni testing, I started ceni and clicked the other option, to use network manager and close ceni. Rebooted, and network icon reappears in the Notification Area, but no wifi icons and clicking on it for information gives a message that there is no connection--yet I have internet access. Rebooted again, same thing. Started ceni again, again selected to return to network manager, ceni exits, rebooted--no deal. I found that so frustrating for a laptop user that I ended up by deleting network manager and installing wicd.

Can anyone duplicate this behavior?
Many times both live cd and installed. From my notes during testing:

Network manager and Centi are still messed up for me, now it is we have the wired and not wireless. See what happens when loaded.

Network manager; still shows "Wired Network, device not managed" however, it works. For wireless, nothing says it is working, even
the "Connection Infomation" says "Error displaying connection infomation: No valid active connection found!". Yet it is working.

Centi works both wired or wireless from a restart. The app needs to open in full screen. For the user it would nice to have something
in the taskbar to show that centi is up.

Fresh install XM-14 beta 1. Apple 15" booting from the OS, on an external usb HD.

With centi installed here, it will connect auto to the wired network, no setup needed.

For wireless, this is the only time I see the opening window use the "your screen is to
small" trick, is the first time setup for wireless. When the centi editor opens, just
click the full screen tab open and do the setup, when finished centi wireless will be
working and will be in use each time the OS is started. There just no icon on the taskbar
showing that centi is working.

This setup worked the best:

Network-manager I have found to be a PITA on the Apple machines using deb and mepis as well
as this OS. So it is purged out, and restart the system, once back up, load wicd in, restart.
Once back up, run centi startup editor for the wireless, rewrite the config file and now a
wireless icon shows on the taskbar and centi is up to date. :p
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

kmathern
Developer

#14 Post by kmathern »

Stevo wrote:Darned if I know--Silent Observer? Kmathern? How did it work?

I get the impression that network-manager does not use the interfaces file, but does get confused by whatever Ceni adds to it somehow, thus this workaround.
That's the way I remember it.

I'm not exactly sure what changes in the /etc/network/interfaces cause a problem with network-manager. I do know that when you quit ceni and go back to network-manager, nm wouldn't display connection status correctly, even though you might have a working connection.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#15 Post by dolphin_oracle »

chiming in again...
reading up on network-manager, by default, it does NOT manage any connection specified in /etc/network/interfaces. So when Jerry says his connection is working after using ceni, it works because ceni set it up in /etc/network/interfaces and network-manager checks to see if interfaces are setup in /etc/network/interfaces, and if they are, doesn't manage them.

If you later use ceni to remove a connection it has set up, it will remove the entries from /etc/networ k/interfaces. But you have to tell it to do that, it doens't remove the entry just because you turn network-manager back on.

My suggestion is to leave what we orginally tried to have...an empty /etc/network/interfaces. That way network-manager will run things unless there is some kind of need for ceni. If someone wants and/or needs to use ceni, then they don't want network-manager for some reason anyway.

as to the terminal window size issue, either the script as desribed or why not just change the default window size for terminal. Its in xfec4-terminal preferences.

also, when you get the message, resizing the window and pressing enter will make ceni continue.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

as to the terminal window size issue, either the script as desribed or why not just change the default window size for terminal. Its in xfec4-terminal preferences.

also, when you get the message, resizing the window and pressing enter will make ceni continue.
Really good ideas, and much simpler than making a new package!

zeeone

#17 Post by zeeone »

FAR OUT, I have not been seeing things.

Loaded Deb 7 32 bit on an Apple, same thing.

loaded Mepis beta 1 on an Apple, same thing.

Googled the world of Deb and the problem is known.

Two fixed stated are:

1. The one file for network manager, change the true/false statement, to opposite of what is listed.
It did work for some, it did not work here.

2. Download a different wireless network app, purge network manager and use the new wireless network.
Some claimed lucky stars just downloading anther network manager and used it. Others(to include here),
purged network manager and used wicd.

Since we are committed for the ISO to fit on an cd, the only distro I know of, is Lubuntu(cd size) and wireless
network works on the Apple machines. :snail:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#18 Post by dolphin_oracle »

wicd actually uses the standard networking tools as a backend, so some people at least see success with it. I'm not sure how or if its daemon interacts with /etc/network/interfaces, if at all. I think that wicd assumes control of the interface from whatever point its at when wicd starts up, but that is annedoctal evidence. I haven't done any extensive tests or research.

I also tried modifying NetworkManager.conf. I had mixed results. You can set it to manage devices found in /etc/network/interfaces, but it didn't work real well for the wireless. In the end, I decided against it on my machine.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

zeeone

#19 Post by zeeone »

Stevo wrote:

Really good ideas, and much simpler than making a new package!
Spent a lot of time banging and reinstalls working the network to work right. As it sits right now the fastest way
to get laptop wireless up is:

Have the wired cable in, before powering up. Once the desktop is ready, you are on the network manager wired.
Open centi, at the first editor's window, max the window open and do the setup, finish close the editor.

At this point, do a restart and when back up the wireless is on and locked into centi. To get the icon, purge
network manager, install wicd, do a restart.

There you have an icon in the taskbar and up on centi wireless. :snail:

muskt

#20 Post by muskt »

"Spent a lot of time banging and reinstalls working the network to work right. As it sits right now the fastest way to get laptop wireless up is:

Have the wired cable in, before powering up. Once the desktop is ready, you are on the network manager wired.
Open centi, at the first editor's window, max the window open and do the setup, finish close the editor.

At this point, do a restart and when back up the wireless is on and locked into centi. To get the icon, purge
network manager, install wicd, do a restart.

There you have an icon in the taskbar and up on centi wireless."

This MAY be a workaround; however, isn't that a lot like going to a rental car agency to get a car and as you pull out of the parking lot you hear the salesman shouting that you need to change the oil, adjust the valves, and get a new spare tire?
AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!

Jerry in Anchorage

Return to “Older Versions”