minitube

anticapitalista
Developer

minitube

#1 Post by anticapitalista »

It seems that minitube needs gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg which brings in libavcodec53 libavformat53 libavutil51 .

Can it (the one in MX-14) work with phonon-backend-vlc or phonon-backend-gstreamer?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: minitube

#2 Post by anticapitalista »

*bump*

anyone know?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

I'll have to try to build it that way. It looks possible.
But first I'll have to build phonon-backend-vlc because when wheezy-backports built the new vlc they didn't build the matching phonon-backend, so it's now been removed by that upgrade...
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

You should be able to reinstall the CR rebuild of phonon-backend-vlc--I don't know why that upgrade removes it, unless it's not preferring the "mepis" versions on the command line. Reinstalling in Synaptic goes without a hitch.

But rebuilding gstreamer-ffmpeg against the newer libav in backports would be the best solution. It also has an option to use an internal ffmpeg, but that would make the final package that much bigger--best to use the backports packages that vlc already requires.

Tim, do you have time to redo gstreamer-ffmpeg? I can if you don't.

Or how about smtube? That's a small package, and can be set to use vlc as the player, so it does not drag in mplayer or gstreamer-ffmpeg at all.
Last edited by Stevo on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

It doesn't seem like the latest smtube got into the repo, for some reason, but is in here:

http://ubuntuone.com/3cptlJl8RY53HQSLLwznID

I also believe that smtube would allow for the removal of any phonon backends, libphonon4, and gstreamer-ffmpeg.

Steely

#6 Post by Steely »

I think that smtube would be a better choice than minitube for the iso. As mentioned in the previous posts it has less dependencies than minitube and it is also very light on resources compared to minitube ( for those with lower resource systems ). It also lets you pick the media player for playback as well as the playback quality so those who are concerned about bandwidth usage it uses less. Monitor your network usage while using minitube for a couple hours and you will see a big difference. Also, keep in mind that it requires a relatively recent version of Qt which may become an issue with future releases / updates to minitube.

Dale

anticapitalista
Developer

#7 Post by anticapitalista »

We had smtube in alpha4, but several users claimed it didn't work. I think the real issue wasn't that smtube didn't work, but would only start working the first time it was opened once user had set up vlc as the default (even though it was set up to be the default) before searching and playing the video.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

timkb4cq
Developer

#8 Post by timkb4cq »

I've put the newer smplayer / smtube in the M12 Testing CR.

The current Minitube 2.0 works in M12 with phonon-backend-vlc & without gstreamer-ffmpeg, but in MX-14 that results in no sound. Same versions of the libav stuff, vlc, minitube & phonon. Vlc plays the link with sound if pointed there manually. Puzzled.

Minitube 2.1.5 is giving me build problems. Qmake generates build lines in the Makefile for non-existent translations files!
Working on it...
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

timkb4cq
Developer

#9 Post by timkb4cq »

Minitube 2.1.5 exhibits the same behavior.

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb »

If it is taken out please put minitube in the meta installer. It is more polished than smtube.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “Older Versions”