MX-14 beta 1

muskt

Re: MX-14 beta 1

#251 Post by muskt »

I wasn't pointing blame toward Linux for slow downloads. It was just a comment that it was taking much longer than normal.

It is very difficult to discern feelings on the internet. That is why I normally attempt to be very/pretty specific when choosing words in posts. I can admit to not always being successful.

OK, I have completed install #8 on the laptop.

This download and burn was completed on my desktop using MX14 and Xfburn (memory not sure of spelling).
The downloaded md5 checked good.
The burn was accomplished at approximately half speed setting.

The initial live CD boot went OK

The install also went OK.

I downloaded the Ralink drivers and Bluman (sp ?) for my wireless and Bluetooth mouse (while using a wired connection).

When starting Synaptic, I observed no (zero) change to the strange reverting to "highest" in the distribution settings.

Let me describe exactly what I am seeing.

1 Open Synaptic
2 Sign in with root password
3 Click Settings
4 Click Preferences
5 Click Distribution
6 Observe "Always prefer highest version". Almost always shows that.
7. Click "Prefer versions from" and select MX
8. Click apply
9. Click OK
10. Click Settings
11. Click Preferences and it jumps to the distribution screen where (if the first time in Synaptic since boot or reboot) the "Always prefer highest version" is again already selected.
12. Doing all the steps again and selecting "prefer versions from MX" then remains in place until another boot/reboot or till quite a bit (approx 1 hour) has elapsed and the whole thing starts again.

OK, you will ask why did I check in the first place--I Don't know. I just noticed it and it has occurred on both of my machines since M11, and on every install--there have been probably over 100 installs in total. (I'm not good at correcting my mistakes).

Well, that pretty covers it. It is only an irritant to me, and not a show stopper. I did feel that it warranted a comment since the development phase is under way. I would really like to know if I am the only one seeing this condition.

Thanks
Jerry in Anchorage

Edited a typo

lucky9

#252 Post by lucky9 »

At one time it was the default for Mepis (what you are seeing). I don't remember which version. It could have been any of them. I've made it a habit to check Repositories and Distribution before Reloading. Everytime.

PS: I found it irritating also.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Jerry3904
Administrator

#253 Post by Jerry3904 »

muskt wrote:I wasn't pointing blame toward Linux for slow downloads. It was just a comment that it was taking much longer than normal.

It is very difficult to discern feelings on the internet. That is why I normally attempt to be very/pretty specific when choosing words in posts. I can admit to not always being successful.

OK, I have completed install #8 on the laptop.

This download and burn was completed on my desktop using MX14 and Xfburn (memory not sure of spelling).
The downloaded md5 checked good.
The burn was accomplished at approximately half speed setting.

The initial live CD boot went OK

The install also went OK.

I downloaded the Ralink drivers and Bluman (sp ?) for my wireless and Bluetooth mouse (while using a wired connection).

When starting Synaptic, I observed no (zero) change to the strange reverting to "highest" in the distribution settings.

Let me describe exactly what I am seeing.

1 Open Synaptic
2 Sign in with root password
3 Click Settings
4 Click Preferences
5 Click Distribution
6 Observe "Always prefer highest version". Almost always shows that.
7. Click "Prefer versions from" and select MX
8. Click apply
9. Click OK
10. Click Settings
11. Click Preferences and it jumps to the distribution screen where (if the first time in Synaptic since boot or reboot) the "Always prefer highest version" is again already selected.
12. Doing all the steps again and selecting "prefer versions from MX" then remains in place until another boot/reboot or till quite a bit (approx 1 hour) has elapsed and the whole thing starts again.

OK, you will ask why did I check in the first place--I Don't know. I just noticed it and it has occurred on both of my machines since M11, and on every install--there have been probably over 100 installs in total. (I'm not good at correcting my mistakes).

Well, that pretty covers it. It is only an irritant to me, and not a show stopper. I did feel that it warranted a comment since the development phase is under way. I would really like to know if I am the only one seeing this condition.

Thanks
Jerry in Anchorage

Edited a typo
Beta 2 is up and will be announced soon. Let's see if a clean install of that still shows the problem. Please reload before changing anything.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Older Versions”