Any other readers here?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Any other readers here?

#11 Post by JayM »

Artim wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:25 am It's hard to read, especially under fluorescent lights. Lots of "neural noise," the letters won't stay still on the page. They rise from the page, throw shadows on the paper, and dance around keeping time with the noise.
Some people pay good money for drugs so they can experience things like that.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Artim

#12 Post by Artim »

LOL, @JayM - I don't experience it under natural light, or very much under incandescent light. But in almost all my classes it's stupid fluorescent light. I can sit near a window if there is one, and read stuff printed out for me on pastel colored paper which quiets things down a bit.

NGIB

#13 Post by NGIB »

The reason I like using tablets to read is I can set the background and text color as well as the font size. Some days I use a very large font, other days a smaller font works. I'll be 64 in a month and age does not help vision, although I never had great vision to begin with. I currently use a Lenovo 10" tablet as my "library" and it works great for me and has good battery life. I tried various Kindles but I prefer a good quality Android tablet...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

BitJam
Developer

#14 Post by BitJam »

It took a little getting used to but I quite like reading on my Paperwhite Kindle now. It is small and lightweight so it is easy to use while waiting in a doctor's office. I also really like the combination of using reflected light plus an optional backlight. I think the glow from most screens is detrimental to falling asleep but the Paperwhite Kindle seems to be much less problematic since light-wise, it's more like reading a real book.

Like with using a tablet, it also helps reduce the flood of books I donate to the local library in order to make room for new books.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

malspa

#15 Post by malspa »

History, biographies, autobiographies, that's what I enjoy. Currently reading:

The Underground Railroad -- From Slavery to Freedom -- A Comprehensive History by Wilbur H. Siebert (2006)

malspa

#16 Post by malspa »

Check this out: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... es/591184/

Setting a goal for the number of books read per year, that isn't something I'd do. Seems like it would take a lot of the fun out of it.

NGIB

#17 Post by NGIB »

Just finished the "Marching with Casear" series by RW Peake and I enjoyed it a lot. Reading The Bernicia Chronicles by Matthew Harffy now. Read the final book in the Dragonheart series by Griff Hosker yesterday - sad to see it end for sure...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Davo

#18 Post by Davo »

One of the most stimulating things to do is to just read and to keep-on reading quality books, methinks. Probably one the most intense and mind-challenging exercises as well, as about 80% is left up to the imagination.
Loads of distractions and instant fixes in modern-day society though, with it's instant feedback angles and hopping from one small fix to another. Another bleep from the smartphone etc. Or job-focused stuff (even at home).

Books are time and effort though. Time paid fully back though. TV, Netflix, phones etc are all passive modes of entertainment (plus all come with multiple ads thrown in too). Reading can be seriously hard work at times or else to just allot and set the time apart for it.

I can read either factual or fiction in historical stuff and both long-ago or else present or else science-fiction or else some drama stuff. As long as it provokes thought. Is more positioned in the boring,boring segment of modern-day fast-paced life though.

In the 6 hours it maybe takes to absorb a good book, you could else hit dozens of sports or reality tv or check your phone non-stop for real-life responses. I would still prefer a good absorbing read mostly though. More slow-paced and old-school for sure..

malspa

#19 Post by malspa »

I've slowed down a lot, after vision problems and eye surgery about 12 years ago. I get through about a dozen books per year now, more or less. But I remember my mom being in a "Book of the Month" club years back, so I guess I'm doing okay.

Reading books is still probably my favorite thing to do -- I hardly ever watch movies or tv, and I'm no gamer. I just read a little bit at time, just about every day, and eventually I get through to the end. Every now and again there's a book that I don't want to put down, so I finish those faster, but it isn't like before the eye surgery. I take a book with me to work and read during my lunch hour. I have not had to resort to audio books yet, and I haven't gotten into eBooks or whatever -- I like having a "real" book in my hands!

manyroads

#20 Post by manyroads »

malspa wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:44 pm I've slowed down a lot, after vision problems and eye surgery about 12 years ago. I get through about a dozen books per year now, more or less. But I remember my mom being in a "Book of the Month" club years back, so I guess I'm doing okay.

Reading books is still probably my favorite thing to do -- I hardly ever watch movies or tv, and I'm no gamer. I just read a little bit at time, just about every day, and eventually I get through to the end. Every now and again there's a book that I don't want to put down, so I finish those faster, but it isn't like before the eye surgery. I take a book with me to work and read during my lunch hour. I have not had to resort to audio books yet, and I haven't gotten into eBooks or whatever -- I like having a "real" book in my hands!
I have to say that my paperwhite kindle has turned me from an eager reader to a voracious reader. I am on my 64th novel of 2019 already. It is amazingly helpful with vision problems. And to me, the feel of the unit is close 'enough' to that of a real book.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Community Fun”