The Future ?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
Gordon Cooper

The Future ?

#1 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Last edited by Gordon Cooper on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

duane

Re: The future ?

#2 Post by duane »

Personally I think digital textbooks are a ripoff.
Especially for college.
Give them a textbook that they can choose to keep for future reference.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Richard

#3 Post by Richard »

Considering the prices of textbooks these days, and remembering how many of my textbooks I kept, I would have preferred digital.

On the other hand, I do love the feel of books and love being able to read without electricity.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

Easily searchable is an advantage of digital and with the Net almost nay subject can be researched forever.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

Kids are no longer able to write cursive writing. Soon they will not be able to navigate a print book to do research.

Search engines are so important, and will continue to be so as kids look to what turns up in an Internet search to define their beliefs and answers to serious questions.

Tech can be great, or it can be poison, depending upon both how its used and who controls it.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Small kids were also being forced to carry large loads of books, almost too much to carry in some cases. You can fit thousands of books onto a tablet.

I did find some kid's school-issued Acer Chromebook left out overnight again on the coyote walk through the high school last night; that's the third one in a couple years. I turned it in like the others.

JeffA

#7 Post by JeffA »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:03 pm On the other hand, I do love the feel of books and love being able to read without electricity.
I do too, but it still takes a little for my eyes to adjust to the kerosene lamp. :happy:

Richard

#8 Post by Richard »

@JeffA,
just have to read during daylight hours or by candlelight.
I used to have a kerosene lamp. :)

But books are available even when batteries are discharged.
(is probably what I should have said. :)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Artim

#9 Post by Artim »

I can't spend too much time in front of a screen anyway. In about 4th grade they found that I could read just fine under natural light, but in the classroom, under those really noisy (and I mean freaking LOUD - yet I was the only kid in school who found it deafeningly loud) fluorescent lights I couldn't. Printing my lessons on colored paper helped out a little. Now, though not nearly as maddeningly loud as fluorescent lights, I find similar distracting "neural noise" from even the best screens. I need books, not screens, and natural light. The more things go on screens instead of paper, the harder it is for me. By law, though, my school must accommodate "special needs," so even when everyone else gets the digital textbooks, I get the old-fashioned, backpack-ripping hard copy.

cyrilus31

#10 Post by cyrilus31 »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:03 pm Considering the prices of textbooks these days, and remembering how many of my textbooks I kept, I would have preferred digital.

On the other hand, I do love the feel of books and love being able to read without electricity.
I did not remember if you live in Colombia or Venezuela. Now I understand more clearly. Hope you're safe wherever you are and have enough kerosene for the days to come.

Return to “Community Fun”