Podcasting- what tools, technology and support do you use

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
arjaybe

Re: Podcasting- what tools, technology and support do you use

#11 Post by arjaybe »

Big step, manyroads. I noticed that your recording quality improved over the first few 'casts. Good quality control. Tell us more about your equipment and your "studio." What do you use for acoustic dampening?
Green Comet
Space particles.

manyroads

#12 Post by manyroads »

arjaybe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:35 am Big step, manyroads. I noticed that your recording quality improved over the first few 'casts. Good quality control. Tell us more about your equipment and your "studio." What do you use for acoustic dampening?
Thank you @arjaybe. I have moved all my voice editing to audacity and run some simple Tools on the voice. My mic is a Blue Yeti and I have been working at getting it positioned 'correctly'; if there is such a thing. :p I, also, have my "studio" located in an isolated area (read basement office) which I am able to keep pretty quiet. I record in small blocks of time and use ffmpeg to concatenate voice 'snippets' using cli:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "concat:part1.mp3|part2.mp3|part3.mp3" -acodec copy Episode3.mp3 
. I, also, have played with sox to build parallel stereo tracks to even the sound, so far that seems to work, although, I'm dubious about it, long term.

sox mono.wav -c 2 stereo.wav 
btw. this seems to work well with mp3 (not just .wav files).

I hope to build and publish a tutorial on what I have learned in a bit. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

arjaybe

#13 Post by arjaybe »

manyroads wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:10 pm
arjaybe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:35 am Big step, manyroads. I noticed that your recording quality improved over the first few 'casts. Good quality control. Tell us more about your equipment and your "studio." What do you use for acoustic dampening?
Thank you @arjaybe. I have moved all my voice editing to audacity and run some simple Tools on the voice. My mic is a Blue Yeti and I have been working at getting it positioned 'correctly'; if there is such a thing. :p I, also, have my "studio" located in an isolated area (read basement office) which I am able to keep pretty quiet. I record in small blocks of time and use ffmpeg to concatenate voice 'snippets' using cli:

ffmpeg -i "concat:part1.mp3|part2.mp3|part3.mp3" -acodec copy Episode3.mp3 
. I, also, have played with sox to build parallel stereo tracks to even the sound, so far that seems to work, although, I'm dubious about it, long term.

sox mono.wav -c 2 stereo.wav 
btw. this seems to work well with mp3 (not just .wav files).

I hope to build and publish a tutorial on what I have learned in a bit. :bagoverhead:
I record my stories and used to do it in stereo until I was advised that it was an unnecessary complication for the use case. Do you know if stereo is better for recording voice in your case? Maybe the music you play benefits from being 'cast in stereo.

Do you hang blankets or anything to "quiet" the room? I record in a closet, so the clothes do that for me. I also use Audacity for editing. Tip: if you think you might ever compile your 'casts into an audiobook, make sure to set the peaks in Audacity to -3. That's one of the requirements.
Green Comet
Space particles.

manyroads

#14 Post by manyroads »

arjaybe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:09 pm [...]

I record my stories and used to do it in stereo until I was advised that it was an unnecessary complication for the use case. Do you know if stereo is better for recording voice in your case? Maybe the music you play benefits from being 'cast in stereo.

Do you hang blankets or anything to "quiet" the room? I record in a closet, so the clothes do that for me. I also use Audacity for editing. Tip: if you think you might ever compile your 'casts into an audiobook, make sure to set the peaks in Audacity to -3. That's one of the requirements.
I have not tried the baffles. I am going to see if recording in a sound insulated bedroom helps. As for mono recording, I do actually record in stereo. If you have not tried the following sox command, you might see if you like the results. It will make your mono recording, faux-stereo.

sox mono-recording.mp3 -c 2 faux-stereo-recording.mp3

I have added your tip to my ZimWiki 'memory'. :crossfingers:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

arjaybe

#15 Post by arjaybe »

manyroads wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:25 pm
arjaybe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:09 pm [...]

I have not tried the baffles. I am going to see if recording in a sound insulated bedroom helps. As for mono recording, I do actually record in stereo. If you have not tried the following sox command, you might see if you like the results. It will make your mono recording, faux-stereo.

sox mono-recording.mp3 -c 2 faux-stereo-recording.mp3

I have added your tip to my ZimWiki 'memory'. :crossfingers:
I was recording in stereo but was advised to switch to mono, since it's just my voice. I took my old recordings and used Audacity to turn them mono, and have recorded in mono since.

Your recordings (after the first one) sound pretty good. I don't hear any nasty echoes or sibilants, but you might see subtler improvements with baffling. Worth a try.
Green Comet
Space particles.

manyroads

#16 Post by manyroads »

@arjaybe I have been recording with both my laptop speakers and mic turned off. That seems to help. I'm guessing it has to do with feedback/echo. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#17 Post by manyroads »

I just switched to a new recorder (new to me). It seems to work "excellently" with MX. :eek: I'm not a huge fan of its GUI, but aside from being fairly "style-less" it works well. :lipsrsealed:

https://launchpad.net/~audio-recorder
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

In doing some work on my setups, I have come up with the following list of Video-casting & Podcasting tools (plus their installation locations).

Podcast/ Vidcast Software Apps
1. Audacity-- mxpi 2.3.2
2. Open Broadcaster Studio-- flatpak install flathub com.obsproject.Studio
3. FFaudioConverter-- flatpak install flathub com.github.Bleuzen.FFaudioConverter
4. Avidemux-- flatpak install flathub org.avidemux.Avidemux
5. Kdenlive-- flatpak install flathub org.kde.kdenlive
6. OpenShot Video Editor-- flatpak install flathub org.openshot.OpenShot
7. ardour-- mxpi testrepo
8. Kazam-- available via synaptic or deb download

Communicate on... :number1:
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Community Fun”