Writers - what tools / techniques do you use to write?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
plzd

Re: Writers - what tools / techniques do you use to write?

#21 Post by plzd »

So far I've settled on Freeplane.

I'm definitely a very visual, nonlinear thinker. So it's working great. It ticks the boxes concerning my want for multiple export capabilities (don' t want any dead end roads). I'm especially happy with its capability of exporting all/some nodes with their notes to Scrivener for further polishing later on!

Thanks again to all for your input. Hope all is well with you and yours, and your writing. :happy:
Dell E6220 i7 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel Sandybridge Mobile 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - 23" Acer G235h Monitor

Sparky

#22 Post by Sparky »

bibisco
Sounds as bad as it is actually good!
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

demifiend

#23 Post by demifiend »

plzd wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 pmI'm finally allowing myself to start writing after wanting to for decades.

I'm starting from, I guess you could say, ground zero (or subzero), and would like your input. I am giving Fiction a go and I have much to learn. One thing I know for sure is that I am definitely a pantser -- writing by the seat of my pants -- it's a blast. My characters have somewhat taken over, though. :happy: They've kindly introduced me to new characters and scenes, and scenery that I never imagined. Almost at once I've found myself holding to the harness about me, as I've no choice now but to stay seated, wide-eyed and smiling. :smiley2: It's exhilarating!
Congratulations. I've been writing for over twenty years, and managed to finish a few novels, and it's always a rush when you realize you know the characters well enough to let them move the story along instead of having the story move them.
plzd wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 pmI have dealt with learning disabilities (some of them were the teachers themselves) growing up so grammar and punctuation, etc. are not necessarily my forte. But I'm quite excited (and hesitant, simultaneously).
The mechanics are something you can pick up with practice. Don't sweat it. If all else fails, a competent human editor can point out the bugs and work with you to improve your manuscripts.
plzd wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 pmI looking forward to hearing from you about what tools, techniques, disciplines, computer keyboard(s), software, services, etc. that you've found best to use.
I've been coming around to just using Emacs and Org Mode (a note-taking subsystem for Emacs with its own markup language and powerful export functions), Pandoc, LaTeX, and dictd (local dictionary daemon) for composition. I use git for version control, I'm working on integrating Emacs with WordPress using org2blog, and I also have a gopher site. :)
ThinkPad T430s (8GB RAM, 1TB HDD)
ThinkPad T60 (3GB RAM, 512GB SSD)

arjaybe

#24 Post by arjaybe »

Is anyone using atom and git?
Green Comet
Space particles.

plzd

#25 Post by plzd »

demifiend wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 am
plzd wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 pmI'm finally allowing myself to start writing after wanting to for decades.

Congratulations. I've been writing for over twenty years, and managed to finish a few novels, and it's always a rush when you realize you know the characters well enough to let them move the story along instead of having the story move them.

The mechanics are something you can pick up with practice. Don't sweat it. If all else fails, a competent human editor can point out the bugs and work with you to improve your manuscripts.

I've been coming around to just using Emacs and Org Mode (a note-taking subsystem for Emacs with its own markup language and powerful export functions), Pandoc, LaTeX, and dictd (local dictionary daemon) for composition. I use git for version control, I'm working on integrating Emacs with WordPress using org2blog, and I also have a gopher site. :)

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback!
For me, at this point, I'm finding the combination of Freeplane and Scrivener (the old beta Linux version being much more stable than wndows version within Wine). Also finding the need to outline some as I "pantser" along with my characters. :happy:
Dell E6220 i7 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel Sandybridge Mobile 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - 23" Acer G235h Monitor

Return to “Community Fun”