Are you a cook?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
jj1j1

Re: Are you a cook?

#61 Post by jj1j1 »

In my previous life as a Cabinet Maker I worked with many woods. If I would have thought about it I would have made cutting boards, too, but had a lot of fun making what I did. Here are a few projects I did. All the craft items were made with the desktop CNC mill, (the last picture). https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

scottr954

#62 Post by scottr954 »

jj1j1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:25 pm In my previous life as a Cabinet Maker I worked with many woods. If I would have thought about it I would have made cutting boards, too, but had a lot of fun making what I did. Here are a few projects I did. All the craft items were made with the desktop CNC mill, (the last picture). https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Man that stuff is incredible!! The fire truck!! I'm rubbing elbows with geniuses here! Did you retire from that type of work?

jj1j1

#63 Post by jj1j1 »

Like all things nothing lasts forever. The mill eventually broke down, and the shop didn't fix it. My dept. wasn't really very profitable because many of the things I made took too long to create. I caught the CNC bug though, and ended up changing careers. It was either that, or going back to bending and stooping making furniture. I decided to learn CNC. I went to school, and earned an AAS in Manufacturing, and CAD CAM. I miss working with wood though, and hope to get my own mill someday, an make Intarsia again.
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

scottr954

#64 Post by scottr954 »

jj1j1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:01 pm Like all things nothing lasts forever. The mill eventually broke down, and the shop didn't fix it. My dept. wasn't really very profitable because many of the things I made took too long to create. I caught the CNC bug though, and ended up changing careers. It was either that, or going back to bending and stooping making furniture. I decided to learn CNC. I went to school, and earned an AAS in Manufacturing, and CAD CAM. I miss working with wood though, and hope to get my own mill someday, an make Intarsia again.
Well I wish you great success!!!

handy

#65 Post by handy »

No genius here! I'm a cook! A really crappy one. :) I cook 'cause if I don't eat I'll die.

I just made something, (eating it as I write this) that I'll get a few meals out of that isn't half bad (might only be half good too lol). You can make it as spicy as you like (spicy is great for bad cooks - not only bad cooks though, I like spicy even if a good cook made it.)

Here's the recipe (nothing ground breaking at all, but it is pretty quick & easy, really healthy & it tastes good to me, to the point that I wrote it down so I can do it again):

The yummy Handy concoction:

This easy meal is made with a spicy mixture of brown rice, & vegy's (both fozen & fresh - whatever). It cooks up quick and easy on the stove & is a really good base for which to use whatever you have laying around & to customise to suit your taste.

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time ~45mins
Servings 4 good size servings (easily modified)

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion diced (fine without)
4 garlic cloves finely sliced (I used about 8 )
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (~3 tomatoes)
OR a 400 gram can (I used a can + the last tomato from the fridge)
4 cups vegetable broth
~ 3 - 4 cups assorted vegy's (I used combo' of mixed frozen & fresh)
1 tbsp. tumeric
1.5 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground black pepper (fine without)
2 tbsp. cayenne pepper hot sauce adjust to heat preference (I use 3tbsp)
3 cups brown rice (whatever kind you got)
2-3 spring onions chopped

Instructions:

Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil and place over medium heat. When the oil is hot add onion, & garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, until they are softened.
Add tomatoes, 4 cups of broth, tumeric, ground cumin, black pepper, hot sauce, and rice. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and allow to simmer until the rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for about 5 minutes, covered.
Serve topped with spring onions if you got 'em.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#66 Post by JayM »

That sounds not bad at all, Handy. Sort of like a vegetarian curry crossed with jambalaya sort of thing. A person could even add a chopped-up boneless chicken breast or two to that if they wanted to.

I'm like you, I'm in no way whatsoever a restaurant-quality chef, I'm just a not-too-bad home cook. One of my favorite things to do is see what I happen to have on hand in the cupboard and in the refrigerator and invent something using those for ingredients.

I just went grocery shopping earlier. Disappointing! They didn't have celery or spicy sausages. I had my heart set on a batch of red beans and rice. Oh well, I did buy the beans anyway, and I know of one or two other supermarkets that should have what I need, I just didn't feel like running around all day long to try to find them. (I forgot to get orange and mango juice too.) I may head out again Tuesday or Wednesday and make the beans and rice next weekend. The challenge will be to try to find Cajun or Creole seasoning. I can always make up my own with cayenne or chili powder, black and white pepper, but it's just a lot easier with a jar of Zatarain's or Tony Chachere's.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

jibel

#67 Post by jibel »

Hello JayM,
When I have open the forum, it's a big surprise for me . I'm completely in opposite side, I'm a macrobiotic's, vegan or vegetalian or vegetarian since 45 years. I'm a good cook with rice whole and the other cereals and red bean , spaghetti’s nippon udon, soba . I used miso for example miso soup . , consummate seaweed hizikis, kombu, vegetables ! Times in times I eat except animal product , fish , chicken...... red meat practically never. It's very strange about the maximum different thing for to eat for every one . Have a nice day see you soon ;)

Cristobal

#68 Post by Cristobal »

My new toy, I've been given a brand new cleaver (probably a low end one like those sold in supermarkets, but likely more than enough to get the spirit). I was initially planning to order a Shi Ba Zi on Aliexpress.

Distro: MX-19.4_x64 Kernel: 4.19.0-21-amd64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.3
Lenovo Thinkpad X200s: CPU: Intel Core2 Duo L9400 Graphics: Intel GM45 Audio: Intel 82801I

jibel

#69 Post by jibel »

@cristobal,
Here is my tree or more knife, made in japan. It's with this I cut vegetables, fish etc These knife are since more 35 years to use it
Your picture are very beautiful , very nice , congratulation

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#70 Post by rokytnji.1 »

I've done simple pot stickers with Jimmy dean sausage .Here is the video's I followed.
Making dumpling wrappers

making filling

Time to clean out the fridge of leftovers. I have the best well fed rescue dogs on da planet.
They get fed so good They won't run away. :puppy:

Guess I'll show my comfort food leftovers for the dogs today. It gets cut up and mixed up with the dry dog food .
farmers cheese vereniki

Old school

I grew up on the above besides other good stuff. Mom was a master cook from a peasant village.
Here is her recipe for single dudes with a slow cooker.

I carton < approx 1 qt or 1 litre > of chicken broth or beef broth.
Veggies of your choice as filler < corn, potatoes, turnips, Jicama, Rutabagas , celery,cabbage, etc.....>
Spice to personal tastes. < chilis, salt, sauces on meat added by you. >
Add pasta as filler also if big like me with big appetites.
I can of swanson chicken breast if doing chicken. If doing beef Buy cheap cuts of bulk cow meat with some fat and cut down to bite size. Then brown and spice in a good skillet till done before sliding it into the crock pot . Remove any grease in fry pan 1st with spoon or strainer.

Set on slow cook and forget about it. I recommended canned chicken breast because my Mom told me everybody likes chicken breast. But if a dark meat person. Thighs or legs deboned < thighs are cheap >. Skalded and spiced to personal taste on a cast iron skillet . Is the bomb also in soup.

For filler, Buttered bread or saltine crackers are good to go. Experiment with spicing your butter. I find I like putting garlic in my margarine dish of " I can't believe this is not butter ".

Edit: the bulk leftover chicken and cowmeat can be put in da fridge and used to make chili verde burritos later on. Or. Baked perogis.

Return to “Community Fun”