Are you a cook?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Are you a cook?

#1 Post by JayM »

One of my favorite hobbies is cooking. It reminds me of messing around with a chemistry set when I was a kid, only with cooking I can eat the results (plus it doesn't stink or explode nearly as often.) I'm by no means a gourmet or professional-quality chef, I'm more of a home-style cook. I don't worry a lot about presentation, I just try to make things that are nutritious, inexpensive and taste good. I usually use lots of veggies and make a lot of soups and stews because most of those can be eaten over a bowl of rice so it's more filling and makes more servings: more *pow* for the peso. :smile:

Right now I'm simmering a bit over half a kilo (around 1 1/4 pounds) of bone-in chicken breast pieces along with two hot siling labuyo chile peppers for a hint of spiciness, two sachets of Maggi Magic Sarap seasoning granules (chicken-based with salt, onion, garlic, MSG and a few other things) and one chicken stock cube in a small stock pot with enough water to fill the pot 4/5ths full to make a chicken stock. Later I'll let it cool, remove the chicken and refrigerate the stock so I can easily remove the fat.

Tomorrow I plan to make something kind of like Filipino sopas which is a creamy and thick macaroni, chicken and vegetable soup. They usually add sliced hot dogs and use evaporated milk, but I plan to skip the 'dogs and use cream along with a can of cream of mushroom soup for mine, with some mild red peppers similar to bell peppers, a carrot, some pechay (bok choy), onion, garlic, all diced, plus some chopped green onions, elbow macaroni, the shredded chicken meat and some of the stock. It's a Philippine comfort food that's probably best on cool, rainy days but what the heck (it's summer here and pretty warm, but today it's mostly cloudy and cooler than yesterday, so I'm at least prepping the stock. I saw the recipe on a box of chicken broth cubes a few years ago and decided to go ahead and try it.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Gordon Cooper

Re: Are you a cook?

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I cook but not as a hobby, in fact it is essential. Living on my own these days, if I don't cook then I do not eat, and if I do not eat then that is the end.
Started cooking when based on a remote Pacific weather station where a supply ship came about every six months and we were very dependent on our small
farm and kitchen garden. One of the team was our cook, but we all took turns in cooking for 9 at weekends, or when the cook was getting some exercise
digging post holes on the farm. Working in the garden was another essential, occasionally I was the slaughterman, despatching a sheep or pig to provide
tomorrow's roast. All cooked on a wood burning stove too.

These days with the family all gone, I make my own bread, using spelt in preference to wheat flour. Work the freezer fairly hard so that a casserole cook-up
of beef and vegetables provides 3 or 4 meals to be used over a few weeks. Usually tend to cook too much for one, so the left overs go into the freezer for a
frittata or Spanish omelette which will do two meals. Still (albeit slowly) growing vegetables. Beans, peas and spinach tend to be harvested in bulk,
part cooked in a steamer then frozen in meal sized packs, and I have enough tomatoes frozen to make p sauce for about one pasta meal a week until next summer.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

@Gordon Cooper: I didn't mention it but eating is also one of my favorite hobbies. Another one is staying alive. :smile: I got started cooking when I was a teenager and used to make dinner for everyone whenever my mother happened to be sick, but it became essential for the very reason you stated: when living alone, no cooking=no eating. You can only survive on instant noodles and bologna (polony/baloney) sandwiches so long. Anyway, I enjoy doing it. It's more fun to cook for others though. Have you ever noticed that the more successful you are in the deliciousness of your dish, the fewer complements you receive? Because people enjoying it too much to stop eating long enough to say anything.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

duane

#4 Post by duane »

Anyone using software to manage their recipes.
I recall KDE has an app. I don't recall the name at the moment.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

duane

#5 Post by duane »

Oh Duh. It is called Krecipes.
I am thinking about trying it when I have time.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Sparky

#6 Post by Sparky »

Sorry guys, I really had to add this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKQWBTkgUAM

But yes, I cook. I do it mostly from or my friends, and it's mostly French cuisine. I love escargot with butter and olive oil, but I know many hate the idea.
I keep all my recipes in an excel sheet which is probably not a good idea, but it works in openoffice.
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#7 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Something we bbq up from time to time. In Texas.

https://thecookinchicks.com/texas-armadillo-eggs/

scottr954

#8 Post by scottr954 »

I love to cook. My favorite things to make are all types of dough products, like breads of all kinds and pizza dough. I also make my own cheese. Though I tried making fresh mozzarella today and it was a failure! I was so bummed!! Either I didn't have milk that wasn't highly pasteurized or my second heating was too much. My thermometer let me down here I think. It wasn't updating fast enough and went to 122F before I took it off the burner, I was supposed to take it off at 110F! But today I also made some farmer's cheese from Whole milk and white vinegar that I'm going to try on homemade pizza. Looks and tastes promising!! I hope it works out because I already make my own dough and sauce for my pizzas. I also have some creme fraiche in process as I type this. It's so easy, just add 1/4c real (live) buttermilk to 2c heavy cream. No heating at all! Just let it sit in a relatively warm spot for 24h then in the fridge for 24h more. Happy cooking! :toast2:

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#9 Post by JayM »

Since today is Cinco de Mayo I plan to cook Macarrones Con Queso Con Salchicha De Pavo Ahumado. (Macaroni and cheese with smoked turkey sausages. I've been craving mac and cheese lately.) :smile:

scottr954

#10 Post by scottr954 »

JayM wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:22 am Since today is Cinco de Mayo I plan to cook Macarrones Con Queso Con Salchicha De Pavo Ahumado. (Macaroni and cheese with smoked turkey sausages. I've been craving mac and cheese lately.) :smile:
Sounds fantastic!! :worship:

Return to “Community Fun”