Want it, with MX-18 on it

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
dphn

Re: Want it, with MX-18 on it

#11 Post by dphn »

They provide Pop OS for everyone. Based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with a polished Gnome3 desktop. Nice system with Pop OS icons and themes.

They also have a version with pre-installed nvidia drivers.

https://system76.com/pop
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

There have been reports that GPU switching on their higher-end laptops requires some special Pop!-OS package, so won't work right off for MX and Debian. That package is open source, but then again, it may require you run with systemd or something like that.

I'm pretty glad that everything just now works with MX 18 on a pretty powerful MSI GP63 laptop, including Win 10 dual boot, hotkeys, GPU switching with Bumblebee, suspend, hibernation, RGB keyboard color changing, and BIOS updates without Windows, despite MSI's complete lack of any official Linux support at all.

Seems like MSI and most other OEMS have these kind of mini-boxes, too: https://www.amazon.com/Cubi-Desktop-Int ... K1V7BMF1Q0

Richard

#13 Post by Richard »

These, https://www.amazon.com/Cubi-Desktop-Int ... B07D3Z37QP, look like they could serve on a desktop. Haven't ever really looked at the Raspberry PIs.
Understood that they are mostly not as powerful as desktop.
Suppose it always depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Last edited by Richard on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

That URL doesn't work
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

clicktician

#15 Post by clicktician »

I own a System76 box which I use for music production and midi control. The NUC I7 this Meerkat is "built" upon is available for less, of course. And you can get it with a blank lid so you can customize it with your own brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX69JQP/?c ... _lig_dp_it

They're popular if you like desktops that are built with laptop parts, but mostly people like that they run Linux so well. And they're tidy size.

I prefer Zotac nanos which are essentially the same thing, and are just as pricey for what they are. For me, the nano is a quieter design and the Linux compatibility is just as good. I have 3 of them, and have had great luck.

One really nice thing about System76 is that you can upgrade your bios from PoP!OS. No Windows needed. So, if you're going to have an MX model, you need that level of support.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

clicktician

#16 Post by clicktician »

clicktician wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:11 pm I own a System76 box which I use for music production and midi control. The NUC I7 this Meerkat is "built" upon is available for less, of course. And you can get it with a blank lid so you can customize it with your own brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX69JQP/?c ... _lig_dp_it

They're popular if you like desktops that are built with laptop parts, but mostly people like that they run Linux so well. And they're a tidy size.

I prefer Zotac nanos which are essentially the same thing, and are just as pricey for what they are. For me, the nano is a quieter design and the Linux compatibility is just as good. I have 3 of them, and have had great luck.

One really nice thing about System76 is that you can upgrade your bios from PoP!OS. No Windows needed. So, if you're going to have an MX model, you need that level of support.

manyroads

#17 Post by manyroads »

Manjaro has a pretty nice piece of gear as well... https://manjaro.org/hardware-bladebook/

But for me, I love refurbished Dell laptops. Full warranties and almost always at 50% discount. Ok so I'm 'frugal'... hmmm, maybe that's cheap. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

clicktician

#18 Post by clicktician »

manyroads wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:47 pm But for me, I love refurbished Dell laptops. Full warranties and almost always at 50% discount. Ok so I'm 'frugal'... hmmm, maybe that's cheap. :bagoverhead:
And Dells come with Windows. That's a problem System76 runs into. I'd say well over 90% of MX users dual boot Windows, and they want it that way. There's a lot of bragging that goes on, but in the end, they dual boot. And that's a problem if you only sell boxes with Linux.

Richard

#19 Post by Richard »

SEE viewtopic.php?p=477181#p477181
for working link. Scroll down to see a selection of these types of cubes.
PEBKAC error.

Code: Select all

instead of [url] 
:bagoverhead:
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

richb
Administrator

#20 Post by richb »

clicktician wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:46 pm <snip>
I'd say well over 90% of MX users dual boot Windows, and they want it that way. There's a lot of bragging that goes on, but in the end, they dual boot. And that's a problem if you only sell boxes with Linux.
Really!!! Can you show me data to support that.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “Community Fun”