Doerak's opinion on fireworks

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
BitJam
Developer

Re: Doerak's opinion on fireworks

#11 Post by BitJam »

Stevo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:49 pm You'll pry our fireworks from our cold dead hands (after they've killed us):
Tempting ... (jk)
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

The coyotes would love to meet your cat, too. :p

The female, which is the one in my avatar pic, finally took some food from my hand last night, though she was still nervous and very "snatchy" when she did it. Also, another maybe female seems to have joined the pack in the last week, and gets along with the others quite well, though she still doesn't trust me at all. The first three are almost underfoot, while this one orbits much further out, and still runs away when I try and throw her a treat. She did get to eat a banana and some grapes that the first three are now too spoiled and proud to eat, though.

As if four weren't enough, yet another one showed up last night, but is even more wary of me and orbits way out there...almost out of sight. I just hope they stay infertile and don't have any puppies next year--they haven't had any in 2017 and 2018.

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

BitJam wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm
Stevo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:49 pm You'll pry our fireworks from our cold dead hands (after they've killed us):
Tempting ... (jk)
I mean the fireworks will kill us; no intervention required. :p

turtlebay777

#14 Post by turtlebay777 »

Stevo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:13 pm The coyotes would love to meet your cat, too. :p

The female, which is the one in my avatar pic, finally took some food from my hand last night, though she was still nervous and very "snatchy" when she did it. Also, another maybe female seems to have joined the pack in the last week, and gets along with the others quite well, though she still doesn't trust me at all. The first three are almost underfoot, while this one orbits much further out, and still runs away when I try and throw her a treat. She did get to eat a banana and some grapes that the first three are now too spoiled and proud to eat, though.

As if four weren't enough, yet another one showed up last night, but is even more wary of me and orbits way out there...almost out of sight. I just hope they stay infertile and don't have any puppies next year--they haven't had any in 2017 and 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtsZoIe3Czk

Maybe you should play this on repeat outside and see if it drives yours away

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#15 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Careful though.. he's a large boy ;)

I remember my old cat, called Stuffie, when he needed to go to the vet for his checkup. Had had all his teeth removed, long story, but yeah.. Stuffie was a HUGE cat.

So we sit in the waiting room, my mate and I, and Stuffie is on my lap (one of those cats you don't need to have in a crate all the time).

In walks this lady with one of those tiny barky dogs.. I look at my mate, I grin, that dog is not even half the size of my cat.

She looks over, sees Stuffie, as I say: "Stuffie!! Get 'im!"

:laugh:

The look on her face was priceless.

When we were still laughing I told her: "Don't worry, he doesn't have any teeth" *giggle*
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

BitJam
Developer

#16 Post by BitJam »

We have coyotes here too. Lots of deer. I think I once saw a gazelle. Very bouncy. Recently a bear was spotted roaming my neighbourhood. We sometimes run into a pack of Javelinas on our walks. Lots of foxes and great horned owls. I saw a coatimundi once. Saw a bobcat. Years ago I encountered a mountain lion while hiking but that was a few hundred miles north. Sometimes my previous dog would bring me a gift of a freshly killed rabbit. She would get my attention by knocking my leg with it.

Sometimes the great horned owls have a congregation or mating ritual at night. There will be one or two of them on the telephone pole by the corner of my yard and they will hoot-hoot hoot-hoot to other owls around the neighbourhood. We also have rattle snakes, tarantulas, and roadrunners although it has been years since I've seen a tarantula.

One year someone set off a bunch of fireworks many days after the 4th on a hill between us (me and my dog) and my house. My dog ran off. I sort of followed her and she burrowed her way under a bush and would not come out. Luckily it was near a dirt road so I went back home and got my car. When I got to her and opened the door she came running and jumped inside. That was a horrible night.

Honestly, I am sometimes tempted to intervene. Not tempted, more imagined. I imagine intervening.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Stevo
Developer

#17 Post by Stevo »

turtlebay777 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:17 pm
Stevo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:13 pm The coyotes would love to meet your cat, too. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtsZoIe3Czk

Maybe you should play this on repeat outside and see if it drives yours away
I tried it,and it only got them howling once. After that, they just look at me. They do howlfests all the time, though, usually triggered by sirens going by in the distance.

Adrian
Developer

#18 Post by Adrian »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Yd1-ohk8s
I expected this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHlF_cXVCY

Return to “Community Fun”