Are you a writer?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
Moltke

Re: Are you a writer?

#21 Post by Moltke »

I like writing too, mostly short stories and essays. I use LibreOffice and have tried many other tools like pluma creator and the likes and I'd recommend bibisco http://www.bibisco.com/ One thing that worth using is a proofreading tool, I use this one https://languagetool.org/ which you can also install in LO as an add-on and https://www.gingersoftware.com/ for when checking on mistakes. Here's a link I bookmarked quite a while reviewing some online tools for writers https://writingcooperative.com/20-fanta ... abffa293b5 By the way, hand writing is a powerful tool when needing inspiration. I write in my computer but also keep a notebook and a pencil in my bag wherever I go just in case "mi musa" comes and try to hand write as often as possible.
Last edited by Moltke on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#22 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Thanks for that extension

https://languagetool.org/#libreoffice

Just added it to LO :)

After install: tools - language tool - options
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Moltke

#23 Post by Moltke »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:09 pm Thanks for that extension

https://languagetool.org/#libreoffice

Just added it to LO :)
You're welcome! :happy:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#24 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Turns out I write rather old fashioned according to the thing.. I wonder how the publisher is going to react to that one :laugh:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

Moltke

#25 Post by Moltke »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 pm Turns out I write rather old fashioned according to the thing.. I wonder how the publisher is going to react to that one :laugh:
Actually, now that I think of it I hand write my stories more often than not, I don't know maybe it's because I started my journey as a writer (although I've been only published once in a short stories compilation some years ago, three of my stories are in that book :happy: ) using a paper and a pencil and to be honest I don't know but to me things comes more naturally that way than when in front of the pc.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#26 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Uhm, you misunderstand. I will give them a digital file ;)

I meant: I use difficult words for things that could be said simpler.

To add, I know why this is: I was raised rather old fashioned (my dad is 80, my gran on mom's side is 93 ;) ), and as such my choice of words in Dutch are a generation up from my standard age group.

Moltke

#27 Post by Moltke »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:30 pm Uhm, you misunderstand. I will give them a digital file ;)

I meant: I use difficult words for things that could be said simpler.

To add, I know why this is: I was raised rather old fashioned (my dad is 80, my gran on mom's side is 93 ;) ), and as such my choice of words in Dutch are a generation up from my standard age group.
Oh..you were talking about your writing style. What do write by the way? If I may ask. I write "fantastic reality" (at least this what they call it in spanish, "realidad fantastica") or I try to. This is when you mix real facts with fantasy, adding some absurdity and sarcasm to the most trivial things so they become something more like a fun-sad story. My favourite author is Edgar A. Poe who was one of the first in doing this. In spanish, the late authors Gabriel G. Marquez, Horacio Quiroga and Julio Cortazar were also writers who used this style. Luis B. Garcia uses this style too as well as many others.

BitJam
Developer

#28 Post by BitJam »

Moltke wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:58 pmI write "fantastic reality" (at least this what they call it in spanish, "realidad fantastica") or I try to. This is when you mix real facts with fantasy, adding some absurdity and sarcasm to the most trivial things so they become something more like a fun-sad story. My favourite author is Edgar A. Poe who was one of the first in doing this. In spanish, the late authors Gabriel G. Marquez, Horacio Quiroga and Julio Cortazar were also writers who used this style. Luis B. Garcia uses this style too as well as many others.
This is called magic realism or magical realism in English. I've enjoyed the magic realism of Haruki Murakami more than somewhat.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Antediluvian

#29 Post by Antediluvian »

I am a retired university professor and laboratory researcher in the area of physiology. My department was Mac oriented and I originally did my text writing on WriteNow. That was a well-designed, simple word processor!

In those old days creating accurate and visually appealing graphs (figures) was a problem. These days word, statistical and graphics programs are abundant.

That said, there are two points I want to make with this post. First, crucial to organization and saving time was bibliographic management software (BMS). The first program I used was EndNote, which in the beginning was Mac only. I mention BMS because The Dolphin & Mrs. Oracle introduce Zotero in THIS YouTube video.

Second, in the latter stages of my career I organized my lab notebook with Circus Ponies NoteBook, which was Mac only and, sadly, closed its doors Jan 2016 (it works up to Sierra). In brief, NoteBook was a super outliner that allowed you to store, organize, arrange, and manage information and files. Links could be made from one entry in the notebook to another. Text was automatically placed in an index. Organizing your thoughts, procedures, and data in NoteBook made the transition to a word processor much easier. I mention Circus Ponies NoteBook because I don't know of anything close in Linux, which is too bad.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#30 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Moltke wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:58 pm Oh..you were talking about your writing style. What do write by the way? If I may ask. I write "fantastic reality" (at least this what they call it in spanish, "realidad fantastica") or I try to. This is when you mix real facts with fantasy, adding some absurdity and sarcasm to the most trivial things so they become something more like a fun-sad story. My favourite author is Edgar A. Poe who was one of the first in doing this. In spanish, the late authors Gabriel G. Marquez, Horacio Quiroga and Julio Cortazar were also writers who used this style. Luis B. Garcia uses this style too as well as many others.
This particular one is non fiction. They are things that actually happened to me at work. Of course some events were merged together because one small thing isn't interesting enough to make a chapter out of, and names were obviously changed. But the things I have written are real events.

The last time I wrote a novel was a fantasy novel about a boy who ran away and met a dragon. That one never got finished, and I should have this somewhere but no idea where hahaha.

And then back in the day mostly poetry as it was an easy way to cope with what I was going through in my life.

Writing has always been one of my hobbies, and back when Nanowrimo happened I figured: hey.. you have wanted to for so long, GIT!

Return to “Community Fun”