World Cup 2018

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: World Cup 2018

#71 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Same with the disabled folk here. We have world leading tennis players in this country. ONE station gave them some attention. Does it get aired on TV? Nope.

It's all about demand.

k_sz: just turn off the tv, I only turn it on when I want to see something in particular. The rest like news on the internet: shrug and move on.

A lesson I have had to learn recently, slowly going disabled: you cannot change what happens around you, you CAN change your response to it. :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

cyrilus31

#72 Post by cyrilus31 »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 pm Same with the disabled folk here. We have world leading tennis players in this country. ONE station gave them some attention. Does it get aired on TV? Nope.
It's all about demand.
I have had chance to see winter paralympics games with my sons on main public french TV with good coverage. Just to show them we are all different but we can do so much. They were really amazed. :number1:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#73 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Way cool!! *thumbs up*
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

k_sz

#74 Post by k_sz »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 pm(snip)
k_sz: just turn off the tv, I only turn it on when I want to see something in particular. The rest like news on the internet: shrug and move on.
No TV in my homes, mate - since approximatively 25 years. Also, no need for an internet connexion to meet or read professional afficionados since propaganda has been widely spread since decades - with (at least in occidental countries) a gap between Roman empire and early 20th century AFAIK.
A lesson I have had to learn recently, slowly going disabled: you cannot change what happens around you, you CAN change your response to it. :)
You may be right but your message seems to be uncomplete : your answer will influencee - and it will change what happens around you, only the delay of your answer's answer will change.
*a butterfly suddenly spirals over the thread, promptly burned by his attraction to a fiber lamp*
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

ekeimaja

#75 Post by ekeimaja »

Congratz France! :number1: Will the next win be on 2038? :p
Desktop: AMD 3700X, 32 Gb RAM, RX 5700XT (MX 23.1)
Laptops: Juno Nyx 15 v1, Intel i5-10210U, 16Gb RAM (MX 21.2)
Asus Eee 1005P, Intel Atom N450, 2 Gb RAM, Intel GMA3150 (MX 21.2)

oops

#76 Post by oops »

k_sz wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:21 pm....
So... Yes : the so called victory is going to be a pain in the ass for months - and even years, due to a large part of my fellow-citizens...
Not really agree ... People are lucid, they know that the victory is ephemeral, but they take advantage when it happens because it is a shame to be a killjoy just by principle or dogma.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

k_sz

#77 Post by k_sz »

oops wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:52 pm
k_sz wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:21 pm....
So... Yes : the so called victory is going to be a pain in the ass for months - and even years, due to a large part of my fellow-citizens...
Not really agree ... People are lucid, they know that the victory is ephemeral, but they take advantage when it happens because it is a shame to be a killjoy just by principle or dogma.
No shame at all for being considered as a killjoy when the arguments of the so called 'killjoy' are deeply rooted, based and solid, when the source of said joy is, in facts, a rotten swamp (my POV, though - it could be also named "Stairway to Heaven" but, even out of any copyright interest, i disagree(*)) of lies, greed, bias, false flags and ethico-political bs, the whole of it disguised as a dailycious donut.

No shame at all to express a founded disagrement nor to point out that the source of this patriotic carnaval's trance is a trap.
And no need either to go godwinesque when comparing a crowd to another, eg. both of these crowds blessing knowned forgeries and obvious crowd control aka propaganda. Who could really want to argue about "people"="lucid" ?

Your assumption that one, being at risk of shame while identifying theirselves as a member of a group/cult, would avoid this shame of disagreeing with said group by howling with the wolves/mobbing with the bullies, is in line with my POV. The crowd of (un)voluntary clients is partying because the pimp has succeeded. On a gagné !

And well, all of this isn't about an event being knowned as ephemere, it's about a forgery being, deliberately and not, ignored as perennial.

PS : I may have to add something like "No hard feelings", and a smiley :D So :
No hard feelings :D just chatting.
And I can assure you that the above is much truer than a dystopian & multiversal me smiling while singing the top of my lungs the notorious gangrene called "La Marsellaise" ! Not necessarily chanted after, during or before a sportive competition, though.

(*) Let's name it "Shiny Happy People"
(**) Shame on me, I had to re-read your message several times before i could understand your tone then extract part of the bone marrow of its skeleton. I should go back to school and take english lessons. Impression de déjà vu, en plus.
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

malspa

#78 Post by malspa »

Interesting comments by k_sz. Lol, I am certainly not the sports-crazed kid I used to be! Pro sports, ("American") college football, I see all of that silliness in a much different light these days. I've backed off from all that to a very large degree over the past few decades. I used to pay for cable tv mainly so that I could watch ESPN. Now, my tv stays turned off most of the time, and I don't spend a dime on cable (I watch World Cup on Telemundo -- "free" tv!). I don't wear caps and shirts that show off my allegiance to certain teams like I used to. Got rid of the jerseys and everything. I think I've become somewhat of a "killjoy" myself, like when someone asks something like, "What's your team?", and I have to admit that, well, I really don't have a team. Ha-ha, I like when the underdog wins, more than anything.

On the other hand, Life is short, and too often, very difficult. Sometimes ya just wanna chill, kick back and enjoy things a little bit. Football (aka "soccer") can be such a beautiful game, and World Cup is an opportunity to celebrate another four years "on this side of the grass," as they say. It's kinda nice seeing the players and fans from all over, in a venue where folks are not engaged in killing each other off. We're all children of the same world, right? Nothing else like this rock in all the Universe, for all we know.

So, k_sz, I say: Relax. Smile a little bit. The good and the bad are all part of the same whole, in the end, seems to me. If people wanna get all caught up in this sort of thing, so what?

asqwerth
Developer

#79 Post by asqwerth »

I like football and have done so for decades. When played by 2 skilful sides, it's wonderful to watch. No apologies from me for enjoying the game and following this World Cup.

I do feel sorry for Croatia because I question the awarding of the freekick that led to France's first goal and the penalty decision. Croatia played really well, but ultimately they lacked the final finishing touch and couldn't put the ball in the net despite their chances. I think France just about shaded it on the night.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Gordon Cooper

#80 Post by Gordon Cooper »

As seems to happen in most world wide sports tournaments, there is some disagreement about the result. Although the 'round ball' version of football does not lead in our country there are many followers of the game. However, this thread has nothing to do with MX-Linux. May I respectfully suggest that the thread be closed - for another few years.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “Community Fun”