Big mistake, big, huge, started Windows

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
timkb4cq
Developer

Re: Big mistake, big, huge, started Windows

#11 Post by timkb4cq »

I keep a Win7 install to do my taxes - in a VirtualBox VM. Automatic updates are turned off. Since it's in a VM I can run them manually without bring everything else to a crawl.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

uncle mark

#12 Post by uncle mark »

From my experience (which is minimal with W10), it's possible to control updates of W7 but not really possible/practical with W10. If the W10 load isn't in regular use, and you have to bring it up to date from a distant point in time, you're not going to be able to avoid what Mike is going through. I like rubbing that in at my workplace. I recently loaded up an old laptop with MX17 to provide email & Internet access to a group leader on the production floor; the whole process took maybe 20 minutes, start to finish.

[Aside -- Meanwhile, one of our sales people spent most of the afternoon recovering his Outlook email after yet another fubar (our sales manager insists that his people use "professional software"). While I'm the unofficial in house techie, I can't/won't support Outlook; I've got everyone else using Portable Thunderbird, and never hear from them.]
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

in2media

#13 Post by in2media »

my own laptops are linux , but i do have a windows 7 pc for the mrs, she plays hidden object and dash games which i have never been able to get running on linux. when i upgraded the pc i stated no operating system as i intended to install windows 7. BUT the shop decided they would install windows 10. needless to say it lasted roughly 3 days and i ditched it. it was to total mess
win 7 pc, lubuntu 17.10 on compaq pressario, mx 17 on inspiron 1545.
samsung 700g7c mx17
registered linux user number 625675
linux is a way of life
otmapp wwwc krazies and kattle and the krew

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

I haven't started up my Win10 with my laptop connected to the Net since the first week of January, when the Meltdown and Spectre news first leaked out. I also shudder to think what's going to happen when I do.

dreamer

#15 Post by dreamer »

I used to like Windows. Now it's like I have lost a longtime friend. I started with Windows 95. The biggest issue is that I no longer trust Microsoft. Crazy release model, OS-wide keylogger, automatic updates, lots of preinstalled bloatware, list goes on...

I still think even Windows 10 has a few nice touches, but my conclusion is that it's not worth my time. Now, let us hope Linux doesn't encounter the same fate. I'm 50/50 about whether Debian can be trusted. They did switch to systemd which is set to start apt (check for updates) at boot unless I'm mistaken. MX Linux does a good job of taming Debian. Otherwise my next (and final) stop would be Devuan. I did try Slackware based distros, but then you are more on your own. Debian has many good (in every sense of the word) developers. But so has Microsoft. It's always management that destroys a product.

m_pav
Developer

#16 Post by m_pav »

MX doesn't use systemd, we use sysvinit. Systemd is there if you want it as an option, but it's dormant because it's not loaded.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

KBD

#17 Post by KBD »

The Win10 fall update on my laptop hooked to my printer took so long that I began to think it was stuck in a loop or had a virus before it finally finished updating. Fedora updates can take awhile, even Ubuntu if I go awhile without updating, but nothing compares to Windows 10.

PhantomTramp

#18 Post by PhantomTramp »

That Windows 10 1709 update is a terrible thing to install. If you don't have another updated Windows 10 PC on the network (that shares updates), it will kill your bandwidth. Sometimes it will get stuck around 88% and go all night and the next day before it will finish (if it finishes at all). When it does finish, sometimes you find that it will cause a certain antivirus to malfunction and never work again unless you uninstall the update. It will cause programs it does not like to disappear.

I am so over Microsoft at this point, don't even get me started on Office.

BTW, my blood pressure is now going back down as I realize that I am using my trusty MX as I type this. Also, the Cavs are ahead of those Tar Heels for the moment, heh, heh.

The Tramp

KBD

#19 Post by KBD »

PhantomTramp wrote:That Windows 10 1709 update is a terrible thing to install. If you don't have another updated Windows 10 PC on the network (that shares updates), it will kill your bandwidth. Sometimes it will get stuck around 88% and go all night and the next day before it will finish (if it finishes at all). When it does finish, sometimes you find that it will cause a certain antivirus to malfunction and never work again unless you uninstall the update. It will cause programs it does not like to disappear.

I am so over Microsoft at this point, don't even get me started on Office.

BTW, my blood pressure is now going back down as I realize that I am using my trusty MX as I type this. Also, the Cavs are ahead of those Tar Heels for the moment, heh, heh.

The Tramp
That update killed some machines. And I'm not sure they could roll it back, or stay there even if they did. I'm lucky that I have several computers right now, the only reason I have Windows at all. I went for about 5 years Windows free and didn't really miss it. I know I would never want to solely rely upon Windows, I love having Linux machines around.

sunrat

#20 Post by sunrat »

I use Win10 on one PC to do multitrack recordings of concerts from a Digico SD10 mixing console. The UB MADI interface doesn't have Linux drivers.
One time I needed to download about 30MB of software so connected to phone via mobile hotspot. Win10 downloaded over 15GB of data on my mobile connection costing me $100 in excess data!
I since disabled updates and many other annoyances using a wonderful little program called Win10Privacy - https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/
This Win10 does not normally go on the internet and is only used for occasional recording and games (still love Need For Speed Most Wanted :) )
It's multiboot with MX-17, siduction, and KX Studio. Thank ${deity} for Linux! ;)

Return to “Community Fun”