Green Comet

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
arjaybe

Green Comet

#1 Post by arjaybe »

This is not me plugging my website. Really!-)

I think of you guys as part of my extended clan, so I'd like to share this with you. I've written a novel, "Green Comet," and it's available for free download at the link in my signature. It's released under a Creative Commons Attribution and ShareAlike license (CC-BY-SA). I wrote it in Mepis using Open/LibreOffice and other free software.

I think of it as a love story in an exotic setting. Please download it and enjoy it.

rjb
Green Comet
Space particles.

arjaybe

Re: Green Comet

#2 Post by arjaybe »

The files on the website are zipped and it's occurred to me: can mobile phones and tablets handle that?
Green Comet
Space particles.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

My android phone can.

Good work, BTW. Authorship is never easy, and you always feel pretty exposed once it is out there. I have a book in production right now, and find it hard not to get seriously annoyed/irritated when reviewers don't understand or appreciate me...

:frustrated:

EDIT: I just looked at your site, and see that it is very well done for mobile. But I only see two blog posts and no download link
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

arjaybe

#4 Post by arjaybe »

That's good to know. I had someone email me saying he wouldn't download a .zip file. He lives on his iphone, so I had to wonder.

I haven't had any reviews yet, unless "Good work, BTW" counts.-)
Green Comet
Space particles.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

Never mind--just had to tap on the first blog post. I tapped on the ePub version, it downloaded, then I tapped on the file and it opened right up into FBReader.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

KrispyKritter

#6 Post by KrispyKritter »

I had to jump through some hoops to get it downloaded. I have an Android phone and it would not accept a .zip file. Therefore I had to download to my laptop extract it there then transfer to the phone.

Steve
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

arjaybe

#7 Post by arjaybe »

KrispyKritter wrote:I had to jump through some hoops to get it downloaded. I have an Android phone and it would not accept a .zip file. Therefore I had to download to my laptop extract it there then transfer to the phone.

Steve
Hm. Maybe I should unpack the ePub and PDF files and post them as is.

Done.
Green Comet
Space particles.

m_pav
Developer

#8 Post by m_pav »

No problem whatsoever downloading the zip file on my Galaxy S1, however I use the Maxthon browser because IMHO, it puts the others to shame, then I opened the zip file with estrongs zip manager, which comes as part of the ES File Explorer package, then opened the odt file in Mobile Document Viewer.

I could open it without extracting it first, but it consumed 36Mb of RAM in the process, quite a bit for an older single core smartphone.

Mike P
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

arjaybe

#9 Post by arjaybe »

m_pav wrote:No problem whatsoever downloading the zip file on my Galaxy S1, however I use the Maxthon browser because IMHO, it puts the others to shame, then I opened the zip file with estrongs zip manager, which comes as part of the ES File Explorer package, then opened the odt file in Mobile Document Viewer.

I could open it without extracting it first, but it consumed 36Mb of RAM in the process, quite a bit for an older single core smartphone.

Mike P
I think I've found a good compromise. Non-zipped files in the formats most likely to be downloaded on phones and tablets (epub and pdf.) Zipped files in the format most likely to be downloaded to a computer (odt.) I lose the md5sums on the non-zipped versions, but they're still there where they're most relevant. And the chapters definitely need to be in a zipped package.
Green Comet
Space particles.

Caesar2

#10 Post by Caesar2 »

I read a few pages of this yesterday and will definitely finish it. You have talent and I like your writing style.
[><]

Return to “Community Fun”