copyrights on mxlinux ?

GuiGuy

Re: copyrights on mxlinux ?

#11 Post by GuiGuy »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am........
...stops commercial entities from taking advantage and abusing open source creations
Shame it did not stop a certain "do no evil?" outfit from using the Linux kernel in their proprietary and highly restrictive mobile phone OS.

Adrian
Developer

#12 Post by Adrian »

GuiGuy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:10 am
asqwerth wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am........
...stops commercial entities from taking advantage and abusing open source creations
Shame it did not stop a certain "do no evil?" outfit from using the Linux kernel in their proprietary and highly restrictive mobile phone OS.
Would you prefer Android use something else? I for one am happy they use Linux, that's the point of one source and GPL they contribute back with changes it doesn't matter where you use it. They do have Fuschia in the plans, I'm not excited about Linux losing a market of billion of devices...

GuiGuy

#13 Post by GuiGuy »

I take your point Adrian, but I really hate Google's ownership of my phone which I paid money for.
Wish I could find an alternative... :frown: .

Edit: Just to be clear, IMO Apple are even worse.
Last edited by GuiGuy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Developer

#14 Post by Adrian »

GuiGuy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am I take your point Adrian, but I really hate Google's ownership of my phone which I paid money for.
It sounds like the choice is yours... if you are so picky about the companies that make your products you need to vote with your wallet.

asqwerth
Developer

#15 Post by asqwerth »

GuiGuy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am I take your point Adrian, but I really hate Google's ownership of my phone which I paid money for.

Edit: Just to be clear, IMO Apple are even worse.
You can find custom images that use only the open source part of the Android kernel and OS, and avoid all the Google apps. It's the Google apps and Play store part that aren't open source.

https://fsfe.org/campaigns/android/liberate.en.html

https://beebom.com/best-custom-roms-android-phones/

Disclaimer: I haven't rooted a phone and flashed anything onto my Android phone since my HTC Hero and Nexus One phones! So I'm quite out of touch.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

GuiGuy

#16 Post by GuiGuy »

I am not competent to root a phone.
I regret starting this rant now, so hereby end it.

Edit:-
By "this rant" I mean the off-topic branch starting at #11 above.
I am not jurgen69, the OP of the topic.
Last edited by GuiGuy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#17 Post by Jerry3904 »

Let me end it with the official statement that was incorporated into the new website for the first time:
Branding

Trademark

The name “MX Linux” is covered by Linux Foundation Sublicense No. 20140605-0483. It is available for fair use in artistic, promotional and informational contexts.

Restrictions

Anyone distributing a respin that we do not host ourselves must specify that it is a respin in the names of a website, ISO or download location. For example: mx-respin. Furthermore, it must be specified clearly somewhere that products are based on MX Linux but are not connected with it in any official way.

The name “MX Linux” may not be used as part of a respin-project’s website title or in the project’s iso/media without making clear that the it is not an official part of MX Linux.

Logo and art work

As with the name, the logos and art work are also available for fair use, including artistic redesigns, except in a commercial context. They are subject to the same restrictions applicable to the trademark and the name.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Community Submissions”