MX14 with KDE ISO

m_pav
Developer

Re: MX14 with KDE ISO

#11 Post by m_pav »

anticapitalista wrote: Hope you didn't leave anything important in the files like passwords, web sites etc. I have done this before.
This is not my daily use machine, just my 13" laptop which I use at work for fixing other systems, but all the apps etc I added are useful for accessing other peoples stuff when I'm rescuing data, as well as a few toys I like to have around, plus I diligently run the cleaners before I update the iso.
anticapitalista wrote:Thanks for sharing, I'll give it a look when I have time, but I'm not into big desktop environments though.
Neither am I, but my wife and staff are, so part of the reason for the heavy desktop is them[/quote]
anticapitalista wrote:400MB for systemback wow! Any reason why you chose this rather than use tools provided by MX?
I was only trying the various options available at the time for personal builds when I started this particular project around mid 2014 and I liked Systembacks ability to install to a multi-partitioned drive and the option to have a different set of icons on the desktop for the live session so I kept with it. I did however lament the loss of the MX installer and had been looking for a way to re-implement it. That is fully possible now and I can provide another ISO quite easily, something I thought about doing before I uploaded the iso yesterday, but didn't have the time.

My internet speed at work is 10 times faster than home, so I wanted to get it out there before the close of business. If people are interested, enough, I will roll in some fixes and provide it with the original installer.

Happy new year everybody
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

anticapitalista
Developer

#12 Post by anticapitalista »

Happy New Year!
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

m_pav
Developer

#13 Post by m_pav »

Utopia wrote:As all the abilities to set language and localization at the boot screen are lost when using Systemback, the iso will be difficult to use outside the English speaking world.
Covered in my reply to Anticapitalista, as is your system wide language concern.[/quote]
Utopia wrote:It's a little bit different from my install as I tried to imitate M11, but the differences aren't that big. I've got a little bit more kde stuff and less tools for fixing computers.
One thing that's very similar is the number of errors in .xsession-errors. 919 lines in your iso, 735 in my installation compared with about 617 in a default M12. There are very few in the original MX before the installation of kde. That's a lot of cleaning up to do. Luckily most of them are duplicates.
Wouldn't expect it to be much different in the looks department as I'm not the type to modify the desktop look etc, though I have made quite a number of tools available under the hood and added more keyboard shortcuts and tweaks that Xfce users would notice more than KDE users would. I prefer using Xfce by a long margin, so a good number of the tweaks are to the Xfce area and they would be hidden from all but the most avid users who like to speed up their workflow. As for the .xsession-errors, my production 15" laptop with the same build has 35 lines in .xsession-errors with the same iso installed to hard disk, so I wonder if it's just the live-session which produces the numbers you are seeing, or maybe it was my error of not clearing it prior to creating the image.
Utopia wrote:Also noticed there's an Ubuntu repository included for Mozilla, my sources list is still the default.
My wife who uses Firefox and staff who use Thunderbird didn't like the repeated messages about later versions being available, especially when running the updates failed "fix" this. I don't encourage them or any other user to operate their systems with the testing repos enabled, so I added the Ubuntu repo specifically for Firefox and Thunderbird so they could run the updates without having to set, update and unset the testing repo for updated versions of these programs. If the CR packagers placed their builds of Firefox and Thunderbird in the regular MCR's instead of the testing repos, the Ubuntu repo would not be necessary.

Thanks for your feedback Henry
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293

Utopia
Administrator

#14 Post by Utopia »

Kde gives the larger part of those errors, mostly because of sloppy coding and no proofreading. It's only small details like missing semicolons etc.
It's inspiring to go through the iso and look for things that can improve my own installation. Have used Warren's kde setup as a model.
Henry.

m_pav
Developer

#15 Post by m_pav »

Oh, never thought about looking there, guess that's just a side effect from not using KDE myself, though I do prefer some of the KDE apps, e.g. Okular for viewing PDF's
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293

Return to “Community Submissions”