OpenBox Re-spin

Help on all MX Re-spins
manyroads

Re: OpenBox Re-spin

#61 Post by manyroads »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:31 pm
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:27 pm The OP indicates that /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 is listed in the openbox autostart file and so should be running.
I have not had success starting policykit-1-gnome that way. lxpolkit yes, but not policykit-1-gnome.
Thank you gents. I'm sure what I did is unconventional, maybe even wrong but here is what works (not to say something else wouldn't be better).

I tried both:
policykit-1-gnome
lxpolkit

I tried autostart; I tried both commands. lxpolkit worked; policykit-1-gnome did not. :crossfingers:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Head_on_a_Stick

#62 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

manyroads wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm I tried both:
policykit-1-gnome
lxpolkit
There is no policykit-1-gnome command, you need to use

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
I've just tried your ISO and that line is missing from ~/.config/openbox/autostart and if I put it back at the end of that file, log out and log back in again then synaptic works.

The only problem is that the dialogue box asks for the root password rather than the user password.

Also, empty your trash before making an ISO image :p
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

manyroads

#63 Post by manyroads »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:20 pm
manyroads wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm I tried both:
policykit-1-gnome
lxpolkit
There is no policykit-1-gnome command, you need to use

/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
I've just tried your ISO and that line is missing from ~/.config/openbox/autostart and if I put it back at the end of that file, log out and log back in again then synaptic works.

The only problem is that the dialogue box asks for the root password rather than the user password.

Also, empty your trash before making an ISO image :p
I ran autoclean and autoremove --purge But the residual trash is probably related to the trash problem I mentioned. I'll run a test on that to see if it cleans up now. I truly appreciate your spending time to check my work out.

Edit: If I use SpaceFM delete works. If I use "trash" on pcmanFM I get an authorization error. I like the way pcmanfm does the desktop management, am not happy with using either xfdesktop or spacefm. Might you have any suggestion(s)? I tried iDesk... not fun. ;)
Last edited by manyroads on Mon May 13, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Head_on_a_Stick

#64 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

manyroads wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:38 pm I ran autoclean and autoremove --purge
Those are package manager commands, the trash is full of files from the user's desktop.

Try this before creating the image:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*
Be careful typing that though.

manyroads

#65 Post by manyroads »

@Head_on_a_Stick Here's what ended up fixing the Trash removal problem....

sudo chown -R $USER ~/.local/share/Trash
I am again testing using xfdesktop to manage the Desktop and using Thunar (not pcmanFM for the bulk of my file management. I actually like Thunar 'a lot'. All I need now is to figure out how to get the OB Menu back on the Desktop.
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#66 Post by manyroads »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:40 pm

rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*
Be careful typing that though.
I will!

On another note, I'd like to display the obmenu on either the Desktop (right now managed by xfdesktop) or on tint2. I am unable to find the terminal command that displays the obmenu. Do you happen to know what it is?
Pax vobiscum,

Head_on_a_Stick

#67 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

manyroads wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:38 pm I like the way pcmanfm does the desktop management, am not happy with using either xfdesktop or spacefm. Might you have any suggestion(s)?
I am ideologically opposed to icons on the desktop, it is a sin against nature.

But you should probably try to figure out that permission issue rather than just work around it.
manyroads wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 pm I am unable to find the terminal command that displays the obmenu. Do you happen to know what it is?
If you're using obmenu then it just creates ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml for you, there is no command that can be used to display the openbox menu (AFAIK).

The menu should display if you right-click tint2, that option is set in the configuration for the linked ISO image.

manyroads

#68 Post by manyroads »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:25 pm
I am ideologically opposed to icons on the desktop, it is a sin against nature. [...]

But you should probably try to figure out that permission issue rather than just work around it. [...]

If you're using obmenu then it just creates ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml for you, there is no command that can be used to display the openbox menu (AFAIK).

The menu should display if you right-click tint2, that option is set in the configuration for the linked ISO image.
Well I finally think I found a desktop manager to use (xfdesktop). It does not seem to consume as much memory as either pcmanfm or spacefm (odd I know). xfdesktop allows for much easier desktop tweaking and control. I also have set the desktop environment to default to Thunar (because I like it better than any other file manager and I have assumed editorial privs.) :wink:

In the next iteration, I have replaced jgmenu with obmenu (using xdotool) on tint2 (the xfce menu appears on Desktop menu click).

It makes this a pretty unique openbox setup. Like most things I do it ignore's a lot of assumptions. :eek: :lipsrsealed: Rather than using autostart heavily, I have tint2 managing the start functions. I think that will be more readily edited by users. (It's only a "little bit" user-hostile.)

Right now the memory footprint seems to be hovering around 310MB. I think I can think that down some; but I may leave that exercise for the antiX variant, I'm also working on. :needcoffee:

More later! :snail:
Pax vobiscum,

Head_on_a_Stick

#69 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

manyroads wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:56 pm Rather than using autostart heavily, I have tint2 managing the start functions.
Really? How?

FWIW I think the autostart file is a more intuitive location for such things.

manyroads wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:56 pm Right now the memory footprint seems to be hovering around 310MB.
I managed to get the XFCE desktop in MX down to just over 200MiB:

http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php? ... 21#p497583

The stock system has about half a million superfluous services and applications running, XFCE itself is very lightweight.

manyroads

#70 Post by manyroads »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:28 pm
manyroads wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:56 pm Rather than using autostart heavily, I have tint2 managing the start functions.
Really? How?

FWIW I think the autostart file is a more intuitive location for such things.

manyroads wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:56 pm Right now the memory footprint seems to be hovering around 310MB.
I managed to get the XFCE desktop in MX down to just over 200MiB:

http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php? ... 21#p497583

The stock system has about half a million superfluous services and applications running, XFCE itself is very lightweight.
tint2 offers an execute function which starts things when tint2 fires up.

Right now I think there are abut three services started in autostart: conky, tint2, and xfdesktop. I am uploading my RC. The memory footprint of the RC is about 280MB. Once I get a stable feature set perhaps you can look it over and recommend services to trim out. :hug:

My xfce desktop is running at about 800MB but I think plank and few other items are eating memory. I'm not really worried since I have everything jammed into a laptop with 32G of mem. :eek:

Once I get a good openbox install I'll build the same thing on antiX... along with iceWM. I really am not a fan of fluxbox and jwm is ok but I leave that to others. The same with 32-bit. Not my cup of tea. :p
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “MX Respins”