I'd like to request software testing from the MX forums

OKie

I'd like to request software testing from the MX forums

#1 Post by OKie »

Are there any rules for this?

I've made a system log viewer, forked from KSystemlog.

I have it packed up in a .deb. I'll have the source up on Github tomorrow. Github's package publication system is going to take a while to figure out. Meanwhile, it's just a beta.

Can I just post the .deb and ask? Private repo? Github or alternative?

I'd like feedback on whether the program is working and if I should add any more system log types.
Screenshot-1-cropped.jpg
ConfigureLogModes.png
ConfigureMerge.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adrian
Developer

Re: I'd like to request software testing from the MX forums

#2 Post by Adrian »

Looks interesting, what did you use Qt?

I don't think we have special rules for testing packages built by community members, you can probably post in viewforum.php?f=138 and of course people should be careful what they test
1. they should trust the person who posted + inspect the code
2. make sure people test on not critical systems (preferable in VMs or fully backed up system).
(just common sense but I guess we might need to post that somewhere)

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

I'm not techy enough to view code, but I would imagine having the code on git places would be safest for people.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

OKie

#4 Post by OKie »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:56 pm Looks interesting, what did you use Qt?

I don't think we have special rules for testing packages built by community members, you can probably post in viewforum.php?f=138 and of course people should be careful what they test
1. they should trust the person who posted + inspect the code
2. make sure people test on not critical systems (preferable in VMs or fully backed up system).
(just common sense but I guess we might need to post that somewhere)
Thanks. It's a fork of KSystemlog, and KDE uses Qt.
Basically, I've built it out to what they were probably intending when they started the project. But I'm not with KDE, and I don't like systemd. So, all the KDE integration should still work, and I've customized it to pick up MX logs. I've figured out how to give most loglines proper timestamps (which most of them don't have), and this allows me to set up merged logs, where you can merge two log types and see the events in chronological order.

SwampRabbit

#5 Post by SwampRabbit »

Very cool, I was working on something specific to the MX side of things only and in Yad.

Does the application require root permissions to launch or does it prompt for root when the ones that require it are selected?
Thats what I was working on last.

I can share what I was messing with, its really simplistic, my goal was speed and keep dependencies lightweight.

One quick recommendation, maybe put the MX specific applications/logs at the top?

Also, while I'm sure they might come in handy... the rkhunter, teamviewer, tigervnc, maillog but are these always there or do they get added when you add the applications to the system.
It would seem kind of silly to me if they are always there even if you don't them installed.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

Return to “Chat”