Synergy Loves MXlinux

zyngalu

Synergy Loves MXlinux

#1 Post by zyngalu »

Just letting everyone know that I have two computers (networked) running synergy.

Synergy has never worked this well on any other system..

Im very Happy....

Paul..

Re: Synergy Loves MXlinux

#2 Post by Paul.. »

This looks like a really interesting system...I see that Synergy 1.9 codebase has been forked to Barrier, since the parent company has suspended development of the version 1.9 of Synergy and moved to a closed-source 2.x product.

Here's a link to the on-going development of Synergy, now called Barrier https://github.com/debauchee/barrier.

Have you tried Barrier, or are you sticking with Synergy v1.9?

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

f.denys

#3 Post by f.denys »

Here another happy and registered Synergy 1.9 user. Using Synergy since several years and preferring 1.9.
Synergy 2.x, gave me issues -contrary to 1.9- which in combination with MX indeed performs very well.

Never heard of Barrier however, interesting, will have a look once they will have available a (promised) .deb version.

Fibogacci

#4 Post by Fibogacci »

Barrier can be found in MXPI in Flatpaks.

I also have never heard of Barrier (or Synergy) and found it here in this Forum's thread, so I've installed.

As they say on their github project site:
https://github.com/debauchee/barrier

What is it?

Barrier is KVM software forked from Symless's synergy 1.9 codebase. Synergy was a commercialized reimplementation of the original CosmoSynergy written by Chris Schoeneman.

What's different?

Whereas synergy has moved beyond its goals from the 1.x era, Barrier aims to maintain that simplicity. Barrier will let you use your keyboard and mouse from machine A to control machine B (or more). It's that simple.
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

zyngalu

#5 Post by zyngalu »

I'm a paid up user of Synergy 1 Pro. (Latest Version) I paid for Synergy because I needed it so badly back in my Linux to MS days and I like to show some gratitude. I'll definitely be making a donation to the MXlinux crew too. (Thx )

*I also once used "Mouse Without Borders" back in my MS to MS days. (Never Again).

I didn't know about Barrier.

My Ubuntu Studio to Ubuntu Studio Synergy setup started stalling on the Client computer. The mouse and keyboard would hang. Now on MXlinux all is well. This is important to me as my server (Keyboard / Mouse) is my screen capture (Simple screen recorder) computer and my client computer is my Kdenlive computer.

*"Mouse Without Borders" is a Windows version of Synergy.

kajakob

#6 Post by kajakob »

Hi Fibogacci,
Fibogacci wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:00 pm ...
I also have never heard of Barrier (or Synergy) and found it here in this Forum's thread, so I've installed.
Currently I use a main pc and a second one for testing. Taking the right keyboard or mouse is not always easy.
With the "Linux Mint" I have "barrier" running, but with the "MX Linux 18" I don't manage to install "barrier".
I hope you can explain to a DAU how it works from the given source ....
possibly with - configure - make - make install ;)

Thank you

Fibogacci

#7 Post by Fibogacci »

kajakob wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:16 am Hi Fibogacci,

Currently I use a main pc and a second one for testing. Taking the right keyboard or mouse is not always easy.
With the "Linux Mint" I have "barrier" running, but with the "MX Linux 18" I don't manage to install "barrier".
I hope you can explain to a DAU how it works from the given source ....
possibly with - configure - make - make install ;)

Thank you
Hello,

well, I did manage to install barrier - it is in MX Package Installer (start menu Whisker > MX Tools > MX Package Installer), tab Flatpaks. Type 'barrier' in search form/filter (right top corner) and check box, then click on Install button.

As I wrote, I installed it and run, but I couldn't connect my two computers. Maybe it was something wrong with my settings/configuration, maybe something with installation/flatpak or something else.

I've downloaded Synergy (earlier version, 1.4.16), but I did'n test it yet, so I don't know how/if it works.

Good luck.
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

kajakob

#8 Post by kajakob »

Fibogacci wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:22 pm ....
As I wrote, I installed it and run, but I couldn't connect my two computers. Maybe it was something wrong with my settings/configuration, maybe something with installation/flatpak or something else.
Thank you very much - that was the solution - about Flatpaks.

I think you have read how it works basically ...
Two things are important, No "Auto config" - enter the server IP manually. Second deactivate "Enable SSL" at "Barrier/Change Setting".

This is really a big help for me - thanks again.

Aksh

#9 Post by Aksh »

Hi,

On MX-21, I'm not able to connect from MX-21 to WIN-10 or MX-21 to MX-18 using Barrier. It's working from WIN-10 to WIN-10 just fine.

Any help/pointers in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks You.

Regards,
Aksh
Last edited by Aksh on Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwampRabbit

#10 Post by SwampRabbit »

@Aksh to start, we need to have your Quick System Information and what version of Barrier you’re trying to use
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

Return to “Chat”