There's a GUI for youtube-dl !

richb
Administrator

Re: There's a GUI for youtube-dl !

#11 Post by richb »

Thanks. The next change will be my 34 year old picture where I look like a mob guy.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#12 Post by Eadwine Rose »

richb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:15 pm Thanks. The next change will be my 34 year old picture where I look like a mob guy.
:laugh:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

Youtube-dl-GUI does not upgrade itself from the application. When you first run it, it downloads the current version of the youtube-dl script and stores it in your home folder. The "Update" in the Settings will update the youtube-dl script, not the application itself.

QMPlay2, which is a pretty nice video player, also gets its own version of youtube-dl, but will suggest and do an update on its own if it runs into any problems getting a video.

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

Stevo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:37 pm Youtube-dl-GUI does not upgrade itself from the application. When you first run it, it downloads the current version of the youtube-dl script and stores it in your home folder. The "Update" in the Settings will update the youtube-dl script, not the application itself.

QMPlay2, which is a pretty nice video player, also gets its own version of youtube-dl, but will suggest and do an update on its own if it runs into any problems getting a video.
Is not that script update in effect an update to how the program interacts with web videos.? It seems to me that is what is important not the app appearance.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

richb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:44 pm
Stevo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:37 pm Youtube-dl-GUI does not upgrade itself from the application. When you first run it, it downloads the current version of the youtube-dl script and stores it in your home folder. The "Update" in the Settings will update the youtube-dl script, not the application itself.

Is not that script update in effect an update to how the program interacts with web videos.? It seems to me that is what is important not the app appearance.
Well, as a packager, I see the code I make into a deb as the program, not some external code or library that the program may use. Most Linux applications use external shared libraries that can also updated separately, but I don't consider that updating the main program.

richb
Administrator

#16 Post by richb »

I see your point. As a user, I am thinking of the program functionality.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

skidoo

#17 Post by skidoo »

clipgrab is stagnant, unmaintained

youtube-dl-gui (from mx-repo) is the best I've trialed.

here's a 10kb pygtk gui utility that serves the task: https://pastebin.com/Dn9uKJ52
Why on Earth can one app self update, and others need manual updates? I don't mean the OS, I mean apps in general, like FireFox for example.
Debian specifically patches both youtube-dl and youtube-dl-gui so that they DO NOT autoupdate.
With an eye to security, I heartily agree with that policy.

Most individual app developers don't know/care what specific quirks (er, nuances) may exist when their "for debian9" packaged version is installed to an antiX system. Even if you "trust" the one-size-fits-most packaged version, you're rolling the dice, inviting problems by installing it. Is it a huge problem? A huge risk? Well, it's significant enough that it has fueled the emergence of "flappypaks" and "AppImages".

With each Auto-update, you're risking untested-on-your-O/S breakage, a potential fresh crop of 0day exploits, a bad hair day...

bobbee

#18 Post by bobbee »

I had installed it while browsing aps.. this reminded me to have a look at it. I'm so used to the the command line.

It looks nice, not allot of options.

It would take a pretty serious interface to do what the command line does.

At first I didn't like the command line interface, But I have gotten to like it. I prefer it.

Stevo
Developer

#19 Post by Stevo »

Clipgrab is still being maintained.

Debian and Ubuntu do not have youtube-dl-gui in their repos; that one we ported over from a PPA for MX. It doesn't have any version of "self-update" built-in...it's the one that seems to have no development to me, to be honest.

bobbee

#20 Post by bobbee »

It is good that there is at least some sort of gui option. There are allot of people who will never touch the command line.
So at least there is an option.

Return to “Chat”