Which software/apps do you use most on MX?

KBD

Re: Which software/apps do you use most on MX?

#61 Post by KBD »

JeffA wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:19 am

+1

Bible Analyzer is another one that has a native Linux version that looks really good. However after spending years with theWord on Windows and all the resources I've obtained and made on it, it would be hard to give up, it does everything. It basically the only reason I have Wine. I also like BibleMemorizer, I just wish it was maintained, or that there was a similar program that is.
On Windows I always used e-sword. Nice program, though some Bible versions cost money even though the program itself is free.

derrotmax

#62 Post by derrotmax »

Firefox
Thunderbird
Shrew Soft VPN
Keeper Password Manager
Remmina
AnyDesk
TeamViewer
Zenmap
Steam
Veeam

manyroads

#63 Post by manyroads »

@dphn
https://launchpad.net/~clipgrab-team/+a ... ubuntu/ppa

Maybe you can try it on MX18
The deb file installed nicely... I will give it a test run. I can use this for clipgrabbing German learning videos "für meine Enkel Söhne". Vielen dank! :number1:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

bigbenaugust

#64 Post by bigbenaugust »

Between all three MX boxes I have right now:
Chromium
Slack
Teams (https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams-for-linux)
minetest (at home, obviously)
galculator
libreoffice (occasionally)
Atom (occasionally)
git
oc (RedHat OpenShift CLI)
VirtualBox
openconnect
vim
advert-block-antix (block-advert.sh)
pcmanfm
rdesktop (when I really need to do windows admin things)
--Ben

dphn

#65 Post by dphn »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:32 pm
@dphn
https://launchpad.net/~clipgrab-team/+a ... ubuntu/ppa

Maybe you can try it on MX18
The deb file installed nicely... I will give it a test run. I can use this for clipgrabbing German learning videos "für meine Enkel Söhne". Vielen dank! :number1:
fine. It's a nice tool. :happy:

Maybe a suggestion for mx-repo?
for those with an eye for the finer details...

manyroads

#66 Post by manyroads »

@dphn I think people would find ClipGrab an nice addition to tools like SMtube. Since you found it... I think asking to have it placed in the repos is your call. @stevo and team will certainly do an excellent job of 'vetting' it before adding it. :happy:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

plzd

#67 Post by plzd »

paul1149 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:16 am
KBD wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:09 pm
I always liked the Xiphos Bible program on Linux. Since I generally have a wifi connection I mostly use Bible Gateway now.
theWord has some excellent modules available. My entire setup is free except for donations, and it includes Greek/Hebrew interlinears with Strong's and morphology, which is an awesome way to dig deeper and to learn the language, and several commentaries and dictionaries. The commentaries scroll with the various Bible windows, as do the interlinear window and one Bible window I use to compare about a dozen versions in parallel on the fly. For me it's very much worth the use of Wine.
+1 -- theWord on Wine is definitely the best Bible study solution that I've found, its amazing!!! https://i.imgur.com/ZgWvQZk.png I used to use e-sword, but theWord is much better IMHO. Gone are the days of spending hundreds of $$$$ on Bible programs/modules, for me anyway. :happy:
Dell E6220 i7 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel Sandybridge Mobile 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - 23" Acer G235h Monitor

fehlix
Developer

#68 Post by fehlix »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:54 pm @dphn I think people would find ClipGrab an nice addition to tools like SMtube. Since you found it... I think asking to have it placed in the repos is your call. @stevo and team will certainly do an excellent job of 'vetting' it before adding it. :happy:
You might visit mx-standard in MX Package installer:

Code: Select all

clipgrab
Package: clipgrab
Version: 3.7.2-1~mx17+1
Priority: optional
Section: net
Maintainer: Steven Pusser <stevep@mxlinux.org>
Original-Maintainer: Christoph Korn <christoph.korn@getdeb.net>
Bugs: mailto: <stevep@mxlinux.org>
Installed-Size: 1.192 kB
Description: user-friendly video downloader for YouTube and other sites
 ClipGrab is a free downloader and converter for YouTube, Vimeo, Metacafe,
 Dailymotion and many other online video sites. It can also convert downloaded
 videos to MPEG4, MP3 or other formats in just one easy step.
EDIT: Ooops, it's in MX stable not testrepo
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

KBD

#69 Post by KBD »

plzd wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:37 pm
+1 -- theWord on Wine is definitely the best Bible study solution that I've found, its amazing!!! https://i.imgur.com/ZgWvQZk.png I used to use e-sword, but theWord is much better IMHO. Gone are the days of spending hundreds of $$$$ on Bible programs/modules, for me anyway. :happy:
That looks good.

paul1149

#70 Post by paul1149 »

plzd wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:37 pm
paul1149 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:16 am
theWord has some excellent modules available. My entire setup is free except for donations, and it includes Greek/Hebrew interlinears with Strong's and morphology, which is an awesome way to dig deeper and to learn the language, and several commentaries and dictionaries. The commentaries scroll with the various Bible windows, as do the interlinear window and one Bible window I use to compare about a dozen versions in parallel on the fly. For me it's very much worth the use of Wine.
Agree completely. The clipboard monitor also rocks. There are some features I'm sure Logos does better, but then it can be so overbearing I'm not sure it's worth it. And Logos certainly rules on content. But for my needs, theWord really does some heavy lifting. Here's my setup, the star of which is the interlinear with morphology, center-top.
https://imgur.com/DhZloeE
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

Return to “Chat”