How To Download Brave Browser In MX?

MaskedRiderChris

How To Download Brave Browser In MX?

#1 Post by MaskedRiderChris »

Hello, all! I just went and tried to download and install Brave browser for my laptop that I just installed MX on. I tried to use the instructions on the Brave site for downloading/installing Brave for Ubuntu/Linux Mint, which failed, and now when I try and open up my updater, I get the following message:

"E: Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-.list (Component)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

Then when I click on close, the entire thing shuts down. Weirdness! I'd like to try and install Brave on here, but how do I get past this error and get to the point where I can actually get and download/install updates now? Unless Brave is not compatible with MX? Thanks in advance, all of you!

fehlix
Developer

Re: How To Download Brave Browser In MX?

#2 Post by fehlix »

MaskedRiderChris wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:05 pm I just went and tried to download and install Brave browser for my laptop that I just installed MX on.
The best help results you might get if you describe in detail what you have done including any code / changes.
Also note: Ubuntu based instructions might not work in MX Linux.
:puppy:
Welcome to the Forum.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

MaskedRiderChris

#3 Post by MaskedRiderChris »

fehlix wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:51 pm
MaskedRiderChris wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:05 pm I just went and tried to download and install Brave browser for my laptop that I just installed MX on.
The best help results you might get if you describe in detail what you have done including any code / changes.
Also note: Ubuntu based instructions might not work in MX Linux.
Welcome to the Forum.
All I did was to follow the instructions on the Brave website to download the browser, which are as follows:

"sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.br ... e-core.asc | sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg add -

source /etc/os-release

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ $UBUNTU_CODENAME main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-${UBUNTU_CODENAME}.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser"

When I entered "sudo apt update" in the terminal window, I received a message stating what the error message above said, about "E: Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-.list (Component)
E: The list of sources could not be read" When I went into the update app after this to see if I could correct this, I got the error message that I initially posted and then when I closed that window, the entire updater app closed along with it. That was all I did, so far.

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

do remove this /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-...

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release*
and read again the installation instructions for debian9
e.g. from here
https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en ... html#linux
HTH

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

In case they remove the old Ubuntu Trusty repo, using "xenial" instead also works fine.

MaskedRiderChris

#6 Post by MaskedRiderChris »

fehlix wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:17 pm do remove this /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-...

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release*
and read again the installation instructions for debian9
e.g. from here
HTH
Good news; the terminal command worked and I was able to download and install Brave in short order.

Bad news: Brave refuses to launch at all from the launcher, the desktop, or the program list. Weirdness. What am I doing wrong? Either that or Brave is not compatible with MX?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

Open a terminal and run it from there so you can see any error messages that get generated.

(BTW I've seen Brave browser topics in the forum about every month or two and I don't know if anyone's ever gotten it to work. I never read those topics as I have no interest in using Brave. But you might try searching the forum and see if someone posted a way to make it work in MX.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

It's another browser based on Chromium, so you have disable the sandbox on our stock Debian Kernel to use it on that. (just search for "sandbox" here)

Liquorix kernels support sandboxing, though. Careful with those if you use the Nvidia driver, though.

fehlix
Developer

#9 Post by fehlix »

MaskedRiderChris wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:46 pm
fehlix wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:17 pm read again the installation instructions for debian9
e.g. from here
What am I doing wrong? Either that or Brave is not compatible with MX?
Probably, you have not read the mentioned installation instructions carefully,
namely the first paragraph starting with "NOTE: ..." ;)

Return to “General”