Please recommend a Rufus alternative for Linux that ACTUALLY works like Rufus

brolly

Re: Please recommend a Rufus alternative for Linux that ACTUALLY works like Rufus

#41 Post by brolly »

Yes. There are many Windows based tools for dealing with WinPE and Rufus should handle it. Trying to do Windows things from Linux seems unnecessary since there is probably no use for your WinPE unless you run Windows.
[/quote]

When you say WinPE are you referring to ISO images or windows based environment builders? On the contrary I don't use windows. I bought Macrium Reflect when i was a windows user. That's one of the WinPE solutions i use purely to backup my systems secondly i have other WinPE solutions to securely wipe drives and to run live usb antivirus solutions. Finally You CAN "do Window$ things" on Linux AND there are cross platform solutions too (I'm sure you know that already). I tested WoeUSB AND Unetbootin which is cross platform too (I'm sure you already know that)...Virtualbox? VLC VMware? Libreoffice? WPS Office? Firefox? I'm sure you know where i'm heading to...They "do Window$ things" on Linux. I'm only looking for a Rufus alternative for Linux to complement my staying away from Window$. WoeUSB and Unetbootin cut it. My objective is to find a solution that can handle WinPE based ISO's. Both for legacy and secure systems.
[/quote]

brolly

Re: Please recommend a Rufus alternative for Linux that ACTUALLY works like Rufus

#42 Post by brolly »

Sorry Double response

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#44 Post by Eadwine Rose »

brolly wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:23 pm Point taken. Apologies for my noob error
This was not a comment directed at you, you didn't make a mistake. See your PMs. 😉
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#45 Post by JayM »

In the past I've also looked for a Rufus clone for Linux, one that has all or most of Rufus's features, and there just aren't any. All there are, are the ones listed in the alternativeto page that v3g4n posted a link to, plus MX Live USB Maker. Many of those others can't create a full-featured, persistent antiX/MX USB, but just a dd-like read-only one as an installation medium.

I wish the Rufus dev would port it to Linux, but apparently he either can't or isn't interested in doing so or else he would have by now. Maybe someone else can give it a shot as its source code is available.

One think I like about Rufus is how easy it is to create a Freedos bootable USB which is handy for doing things like BIOS flashes or running an old DOS game.
Last edited by JayM on Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

brolly

#46 Post by brolly »

I completely agree with that statement. I guess i might have to continue using my Window$ VM for the complex functions

Raitsa

#47 Post by Raitsa »

Reposting this from another thread: Rufus developer _Akeo_ giving some great infos about .isos, answering "will Rufus be available for linux" questions etc.
Very informative stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... tually_do/

brolly

#48 Post by brolly »

Raitsa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 am Reposting this from another thread: Rufus developer _Akeo_ giving some great infos about .isos, answering "will Rufus be available for linux" questions etc.
Very informative stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... tually_do/
Great read. Thanks

TTwrs

#49 Post by TTwrs »

I too have been desirous of a Rufus alternative. I've tried all the methods mentions here with unsatisfactory results. I've been using the following with good results...

https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker

run from terminal to download and run the latest version of live-usb-maker...

cd /tmp
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/cli-shell-utils
cd /tmp/live-usb-maker
sudo ./live-usb-maker expert

Hope that helps.

masterpeace

#50 Post by masterpeace »

to be honest just use dd with "conv=sync" . i was told by someone that in a IRC chat "rufus is dd-GUI in windows with bloat (read : feature)" . that's verbatim . unetbootin is great imo , but most forum dwellers (debian , arch , devuan , artix , void , gentoo , freeBSD , openBSD , slackware , manjaro) told me to avoid unetbootin as there are a lot of bug report regarding ISO burned / cloned with unetbootin . so far nothing wrong with this method , i even managed to install hackintosh and windows 10 on this machine .

and if dd with "conv=sync" (general convention that comply with POSIX) do not work try "sync &&" (Arch-based) or "oflag=sync" (Ubuntu-based) . #to clone the ISO verbatim regardless of hardware generational difference#

if that do not work add "bs=4096" (general convention that comply with POSIX) , or "bs=4MB" (Debian , Ubuntu and Arch based) . #modify block size in case of first generation of uefi bios bug#

but on MX we used general convention and works with debian convention too . don't forget to format it to fat32 first , if you somehow messed up and deleted the partition table , in gparted use write new partition table with msdos option .

if this succeed then the USB won't be able to mount (except you have NTFS support or in root mode) . this is normal .

the iso will boot in all bootloader (grub , clover , chameleon , nt , plop , apple) just choose the "system configuration" in most bootloader (except nt boot loader , pray so that nt-boot-loader will detect) . oh don't forget to give grub a delay (/etc/default/grub/grub.conf >> grub_delay = x , x>0" ) in case of you have grub installed .

hope this helps .

Return to “General”