Minimum system specs and maxi

KBD

Re: Minimum system specs and maxi

#21 Post by KBD »

Sparky wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:03 pm
KBD wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:57 pm

I've looked at a couple of small Thinkpads that I wanted to buy, but they use AMD chips, and those make me nervous. I like to stick to intel cpu's for easy Linux compatibility. Few things as frustrating as having an otherwise excellent computer that just refuses to play well with Linux :(
Have you looked at the X220?
Haha! I'm using and X220 right now with MX :)
I was looking at the X131e which only has intel Celeron in the Chromebook version and AMD in the main laptop version I think, also the X100e which only has AMD cpu.

figueroa

#22 Post by figueroa »

Where did you hear about AMD CPU Linux incompatibility. I've never encountered or heard of such a thing.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

KBD

#23 Post by KBD »

figueroa wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 pm Where did you hear about AMD CPU Linux incompatibility. I've never encountered or heard of such a thing.
I'm not saying all AMD is an issue, but intel is generally a safer bet, at least from what I've seen.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#24 Post by JayM »

KBD wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:01 pm
figueroa wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 pm Where did you hear about AMD CPU Linux incompatibility. I've never encountered or heard of such a thing.
I'm not saying all AMD is an issue, but intel is generally a safer bet, at least from what I've seen.
That's certainly true of GPUs, and I suppose you're not going to find an Intel chipset on a mobo designed for AMD CPUs so you're technically correct (which is the best kind of correct!) Regarding the CPUs themselves though, I've never had any issues running Linux on any Intel-compatible CPU, whether made by Intel, AMD or Cyrix.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

KBD

#25 Post by KBD »

JayM wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm That's certainly true of GPUs, and I suppose you're not going to find an Intel chipset on a mobo designed for AMD CPUs so you're technically correct (which is the best kind of correct!) Regarding the CPUs themselves though, I've never had any issues running Linux on any Intel-compatible CPU, whether made by Intel, AMD or Cyrix.
Well, I rolled the dice on one. Thinkpad X100e with AMD Athlon Neo MV-40 Huron. Got it to play with and not for serious use, also it having 4gb ram helped seal the deal. Some concern about complaints that AMD chip runs hot. The Thinkpad X100e is probably the closest Lenovo came to a netbook. Thankfully it is 64 bit so Chrome will run on it among other software.
I'll probably try MX first, then AntiX after that.
This will be my only single core machine, so my new lamest spec computer :)

Return to “General”